Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
Hello!

Is the use of the present simple correct here, please?

"I can't speak English today".

Should we use the present perfect (I haven't been able to speak English today) instead?

Thank you very much
Will

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello!

Is the use of the present simple correct here, please?

"I can't speak English today".

Should we use the present perfect (I haven't been able to speak English today) instead?

Thank you very much
Will

I'm not sure what you mean. If you could speak English yesterday (ie if you were able to speak English, you knew the language) then you can speak English today.

Are you saying that you are not allowed/permitted to speak English today? If so, then "I can't speak English today" is fine but you may want to add the reason.

If you are saying that you wanted to practice your English today but due to circumstances beyond your control, it wasn't possible then "I haven't been able to speak English today" would be much more appropriate.

Will17

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure what you mean. If you could speak English yesterday (ie if you were able to speak English, you knew the language) then you can speak English today.

Are you saying that you are not allowed/permitted to speak English today? If so, then "I can't speak English today" is fine but you may want to add the reason.

If you are saying that you wanted to practice your English today but due to circumstances beyond your control, it wasn't possible then "I haven't been able to speak English today" would be much more appropriate.

Thank you Emsr2d2
In fact, today, the words just don't come out of my mouth properly! Can I say "I can't speak English today"?

Thank you
Will

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I think you can. My wife says it sometimes when she's tired and makes mistakes she normally wouldn't. However, not everyone would understand you immediately.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you Emsr2d2
In fact, today, the words just don't come out of my mouth properly! Can I say "I can't speak English today"?

Thank you
Will

I agree with Tdol. It's the right phrase for what you're trying to say but it may not be immediately clear. Maybe "I'm having trouble speaking English today!" in a slightly sarcastic voice.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the right context, you'd be okay. Right after you made the second slip would be okay.

I've certainly said "I can't type today" in IM exchanges with colleagues after my third blatant typing error and even "I can't seem to speak today" after tripping over my tongue a couple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.