Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,

Once a week I one-on-one tutor a h.s. junior for two hours at a private ESL institute. It's painful to watch her try to speak or respond to questions. She seems to be stuck inside her head and has told me she's also not very able to express herself in her native language. I feel like I'm bordering on doing damage to her by forcing her through the routine English grammar books (and running through practice Aiken interview tests).

She is Japanese. Does anyone have any suggestions out there? The last thing I want to do is create an aversion to the English language in her, to snuff out the natural curiosity only to replace it with resentment. Ugh...

Thanks in advance for your help!

Donna

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Try lots of fun and humorous things. Songs, animal noises, sounds, Japanese loan words as compared to their US pronunciations, and so on. If she feels at ease, and has fun, she may talk. Don't forget to make a bit of a fool of yourself with your sounds and activities, then she'll feel no worse.

Mr_Ben

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Switzerland
Try finding some plays and act out scenes with her. Give her the words to say so that she doesn't put so much pressure on herself finding them and she can just practice saying them.

tiam

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
TPR methods might work here.It worked much in my classes.Another thing is exaggerating;sometimes you have to act in a way that your student feels she/he is great at english although it is exactly the opposite! buildig self confidence plays a great role in improvement of english.

Status
Not open for further replies.