Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Eileen(,) whose dog is lost(,) is depressed.

Are the commas optional?

Thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would use the commas.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Otherewise it sounds like you have a bunch of women named Eileen and you're using "whose dog is lost" to identify which of them you mean.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You could use dashes or parentheses, so no they are not mandatory. But some parenthetical isolation of the dependent clause is required. In fact the comma pair proposed are merely an adaptation of the most suitable punctuation for such cases, the parentheses. They are, in fact, called parenthetical commas. ;)

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
You could use dashes or parentheses, so no they are not mandatory. But some parenthetical isolation of the dependent clause is required. In fact the comma pair proposed are merely an adaptation of the most suitable punctuation for such cases, the parentheses. They are, in fact, called parenthetical commas. ;)

Thanks, Konungursvia.

Could you please elaborate so that I have a clearer picture of your answer? I am sorry about having to ask you to explain again, but it is because my command of English is not good enough. Thanks.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, Konungursvia.

Could you please elaborate so that I have a clearer picture of your answer? I am sorry about having to ask you to explain again, but it is because my command of English is not good enough. Thanks.
Could someone please help? Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Could someone please help? Thanks.
He's saying, simplifying a little, that I was wrong in saying that the commas are mandatory because you could write "Eileen (whose dog is lost) is depressed." or "Eileen - whose dog is lost - is depressed." instead.
By the same token, I guess, the commas are not mandatory because you could write, "Eileen is depressed because her dog is lost."
However, it remains that if the two choices are i) that sentence with commas, and ii) that sentence with the commas removed and nothing added, the only correct choice is i) - which is what I meant by calling the commas mandatory.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Thanks, Raymott, for the detailed explanation.

Tan Elaine

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
He's saying, simplifying a little, that I was wrong in saying that the commas are mandatory because you could write "Eileen (whose dog is lost) is depressed." or "Eileen - whose dog is lost - is depressed." instead.
Are the above sentences in bold a common way of punctuation by native speakers?

Thanks.

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think most people would use commas. There is nothing wrong with commas here.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I just found this thread again. Yes, the dashes are very common with native speakers. But using hyphens is not quite correct.
- hyphen
-- dash (two or three times as long).

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I just found this thread again. Yes, the dashes are very common with native speakers. But using hyphens is not quite correct.
- hyphen
-- dash (two or three times as long).
That's true, but it's very common to use a hyphen for a dash in places such as this, given that computers don't have a dash key. In fact, what you've written isn't a dash; it's two successive hyphens.
I used to say that two hyphens were necessary to make a dash - in fact I've made the same claim here, I think, a few years ago - but I was persuaded otherwise.
The main difference between a dash and a hyphen is that hyphens cannot be separated by spaces. This is a hyphenated-word. This is dash - there is a difference. They can't be confused, because of the spacing.
I do use proper dashes in printed materials and academic assignments and articles (though I'd never try to pass off two successive hyphens as a dash in that context, especially if I were arguing that hyphens aren't dashes.)

Status
Not open for further replies.