John26 Guest

Smile Site's description

Hello

I'd like to ask for your help, for buliding my new site, at the university.

I'm about to start my first year studies, for a first degree in Math.

so I considered writing :

------------

Welcome to John's page !

My name is john, and I'm due to start my first degree studies in Math, at the end of this November, at <local university name>.

I'm mainly interested in Theorethical math, infinitesimal, calculus, etc.

I also like programming, in Cobol, and #C.

You will probably find in this site more information about me, as well as academic material, and of course fun stuff as well, and I hope to update it frequently.

Take care and your all welcome again to my site !

--------------

I know that the English in not so good. Can anybody please help me fix it ? . . . It's a site on the university's servers so I want it to look good . . .

Thank you so much in advance

John

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Site's description

On the content side, the programming language is called C sharp (C#). Also, just *how* can you be interested in cobol if you can code in C# ?

FRC

Nordic Bill is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi John26.

I removed a few commas and made a few minor changes to the text.

I would word it like this:

Welcome to John's page!

My name is John, and I'm due to start my first degree studies in Math at the end of this November at <local university name>.

I'm mainly interested in Theoretical math, infinitesimal, calculus, etc.

I also like programming in Cobol and #C.

You will probably find more information about myself on this website, including academic material and of course some fun stuff as well, and I hope to update it frequently.

Take care and drop in again soon!

I changed the closing line about being "welcome again".

Also, do note my use of "about myself" in the second paragraph from the end. I am not certain how colloquial or correct this is, however it does give the text a smoother flow, at least in my opinion. Grammarians would probably agree that "about me" is more correct though, since "myself" should technically complimented with the subject "I" (not "you" readers), still this is widely used.

I am not familiar with the courses you mention in your text, so I'll trust your spelling there! I am also debating whether or not to have Theoretical capitalized as you have done.

An alternative to "and I hope to update it frequently" could be "and I hope to make frequent updates."

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Site's description

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Bill
    Hi John26.

I removed a few commas and made a few minor changes to the text.

I would word it like this:

Welcome to John's page!

My name is John, and I'm due to start my first degree studies in Math at the end of this November at <local university name>.

I'm mainly interested in Theoretical math, infinitesimal, calculus, etc.

I also like programming in Cobol and #C.

You will probably find more information about myself on this website, including academic material and of course some fun stuff as well, and I hope to update it frequently.

Take care and drop in again soon!

I changed the closing line about being "welcome again".

Also, do note my use of "about myself" in the second paragraph from the end. I am not certain how colloquial or correct this is, however it does give the text a smoother flow, at least in my opinion. Grammarians would probably agree that "about me" is more correct though, since "myself" should technically complimented with the subject "I" (not "you" readers), still this is widely used.

I am not familiar with the courses you mention in your text, so I'll trust your spelling there! I am also debating whether or not to have Theoretical capitalized as you have done.

An alternative to "and I hope to update it frequently" could be "and I hope to make frequent updates."

Thank you so much for this answer, Nordic Bill !

It was very helpfull

I'd like to ask you again about the sentence :

My name is John, and I'm due to start my first degree studies in Math at the end of this November at <local university name>
    Are you sure that it's written ok ? Because I was most worried about this sentence (It's the first sentence of the page so . . . it's important I guess).

Also, If you know of a more common form of writing such a sentence, I'd appriciate it If you tell me (The truth is, I just wrote the sentence by free translation of what I wanted to say , so if I got it right I'm more than happy )

I've been thinking . . . Maybe I'll also make an About page.

Well, it's the first time for me to make a site, and in addition it should be made in English, so I'm not so sure how to make it.

Do you know perhaps any recommended template of such a page ? or maybe any simple site that includes basic sections (homepage, about, links, contact, etc.) - so I can learn from it ?

It would be great if there is one

Thanks alot again

Nordic Bill is offline Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi John,

The intro seems fine to me, but naturally there are countless ways of rewording it, depending on your audience and your own particular style. Myself, I would probably lead in with "My name is John and I'm about to commence a degree program in Math at the end of this November at <local university name>". or: " ... I am about to embark on a degree program in ..."

I don't know of any template sites as such, but I would highly recommend a word search with Google and see what that gets you. Take a look at other people's homepages and get an idea of the setup and phrasing.

I'd be happy to look over any changes you may come up with to the format above.

Good luck with it.

Rgs,
    Bill