Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

What is the meaning of the expression "there is more belongs on a wall" in the following context:

{A girl called Norah was talented in graffiti drawing but she quitted. Her boyfriend encouraged her to go back to that (apparently she stopped since her brother had an accident that caused his death) Her boyfriend tried to encourage her and finally she asked him to draw something but he said he can't. She insisted. He painted "R.I.P Brian (the name of her brother)" She got angry.... After a few days she texted him "meet me at the graffiti wall where u wrote R. I. P" When he went he found an astonishing painting...He asked her "you did this for me" she said "yesterday" and when he asked her why, she said:
"Because there’s more that belongs on a wall than "[FONT=&quot]Norah has a dead brother.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sorry for writing all of that, I tried to provide a meaningful context.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]First: I know that "belong" is followed by "to" not "on"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Second: I can't get the meaning of the whole expression.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](all what I got is that... The wall can be used to paint more than simple senctences like "R.I. P Brian") Am I right?
[/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all,

What is the meaning of the expression "there is more belongs on a wall" in the following context:

{A girl called Norah was talented in graffiti drawing but she quitted. Her boyfriend encouraged her to go back to that (apparently she stopped since her brother had an accident that caused his death) Her boyfriend tried to encourage her and finally she asked him to draw something but he said he can't. She insisted. He painted "R.I.P Brian (the name of her brother)" She got angry.... After a few days she texted him "meet me at the graffiti wall where u wrote R. I. P" When he went he found an astonishing painting...He asked her "you did this for me" she said "yesterday" and when he asked her why, she said:
"Because there’s more that belongs on a wall than "[FONT=&quot]Norah has a dead brother.”[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sorry for writing all of that, I tried to provide a meaningful context.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First: I know that "belong" is followed by "to" not "on"[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Second: I can't get the meaning of the whole expression.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](all what I got is that... The wall can be used to paint more than simple senctences like "R.I. P Brian") Am I right?
[/FONT]

She basically means that his graffiti (RIP Brian) only tells everyone one thing: Nora has a brother who died. She is saying that so much more could be done/said/drawn on the wall than just that. She thinks that it is not enough to simply announce that her brother Brian died. "More information belongs on that wall", "More information should be shown on that wall", "There is more information which should be placed on that wall than what you painted/wrote".

We don't always follow "belong" with "to". We do if we are talking about possession (The book belongs to me, the car belonged to him etc).

Here, "to belong" means "to be appropriate".

Van Gogh paintings belong in a museum = A museum is an appropriate place for them.
Criminals belong in prison = Prison is the correct place for criminals to be.
Animals belong in the wild, not in a zoo = Animals should not be kept in a zoo, they should be allowed to live in their natural environment.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
She basically means that his graffiti (RIP Brian) only tells everyone one thing: Nora has a brother who died. She is saying that so much more could be done/said/drawn on the wall than just that. She thinks that it is not enough to simply announce that her brother Brian died. "More information belongs on that wall", "More information should be shown on that wall", "There is more information which should be placed on that wall than what you painted/wrote".

We don't always follow "belong" with "to". We do if we are talking about possession (The book belongs to me, the car belonged to him etc).

Here, "to belong" means "to be appropriate".

Van Gogh paintings belong in a museum = A museum is an appropriate place for them.
Criminals belong in prison = Prison is the correct place for criminals to be.
Animals belong in the wild, not in a zoo = Animals should not be kept in a zoo, they should be allowed to live in their natural environment.

Thanks a lot. I totally got it.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.