Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
what should an English teacher do so as to have an enjoyable class? I think if a teacher doesn't have a sense of humor, s/he will have a boring class.what can I do in order to have a good sense of humor?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
[STRIKE]w[/STRIKE]What should an English teacher do [STRIKE]so as[/STRIKE] to have an enjoyable class? I think if a teacher doesn't have a sense of humor, s/he will have a boring class. [STRIKE]w[/STRIKE] What can I do in order to have a good sense of humor?
Nothing.

You either have, or do not have, a sense of humour (British English spelling).

However, if you feel that a sense of humour is important, here are a couple points to start with:

1. Try not to take yourself too seriously. If you happen to arrive in class wearing one brown sock and one red sock, or with your flies undone, accept it. Don't try to pretend it was planned, or is clever. Just accept that you are human.

2. Try not to take life too seriously. Accept that the biggest joke of all is that the only certain thing in life, once we survive birth, is that we will die:evilbat:. If you can't smile at that thought, give up all attempts at understanding humour.

3. Unless you are a professional comedian, never try to be funny.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Accept that the biggest joke of all is that the only certain thing in life, once we survive birth, is that we will die:evilbat:.
Don't forget taxes.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I agree- forced humour is rarely funny. I don't think that jokes are necessary to make a class interesting and not being funny isn't a negative thing in any way if the classes are interesting in other ways. Humour can be effective, but if you're not that sort of person, don't worry about it. There are plenty of other ways to engage people.

SanMar

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Nothing.

However, if you feel that a sense of humour is important, here are a couple points to start with:

1. Try not to take yourself too seriously. If you happen to arrive in class wearing one brown sock and one red sock, or with your flies undone, accept it. Don't try to pretend it was planned, or is clever. Just accept that you are human.

2. Try not to take life too seriously. Accept that the biggest joke of all is that the only certain thing in life, once we survive birth, is that we will die:evilbat:. If you can't smile at that thought, give up all attempts at understanding humour.

This was pretty funny!:lol:

mrang

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Singapore
Current Location
Singapore
I use jokes to teach my lessons and many of my ex-students can still remember them. Sometimes, you can always do silly actions to elaborate rather than cracking your brain for jokes. That works well too.

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
In the morning look in the mirror and say to yourself: "So that's what my students will have to put up with all day long." If this does not instil a sense of humour into you, nothing ever will.

Quite often I ask myself: "What would I be without my sense of humour?"
And the answer is: "English".

TomUK

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You either have humor or you don't. Though if you're one of those unfortunate few, I'd recommend to liven the class up with exercises around those hidden camera clips they always show on airplanes. If you use funny content, you don't have to be (as) funny yourself! :)

Jimmy C

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Nothing.

Great points but I would tend to disagree with the last one. I think anybody can be funny, and even if you are not, you can certainly try. I find that people and students in general appreciates your attempts and, the attempt usually at least lighten the atmosphere if you need to.

Status
Not open for further replies.