Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
"If the requirements of the Christian doctrine seem strange and even alarming to the than of the social theory of life, no less strange, incomprehensible, and alarming to the savage of ancient times seemed the requirements of the social doctrine when it was not fully understood and could not be foreseen in its results." - Leo Tolstoy

Leo Tolstoy - The Kingdom of God is Within You - Chapter V

Dear Teacher,

For the sentence given above, I appreciate if you please let me understand:

1. Structure: is it inverted and is it possible to rewrite as:

If the requirements of the Christian doctrine seem strange and even alarming to the than of
the social theory of life, the requirements of the social doctrine seemed no less strange, incomprehensible, and alarming to the savage of ancient times when it was not fully understood and could not be foreseen in its results.

Does the word "it" stand for "the requirements of the social doctrine"?

2. The phrase "than of": what does it mean?

3. Tense harmony: Why is the first if-clause in present tense, while the rest in past?

Thanks and regards.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"If the requirements of the Christian doctrine seem strange and even alarming to the than of the social theory of life, no less strange, incomprehensible, and alarming to the savage of ancient times seemed the requirements of the social doctrine when it was not fully understood and could not be foreseen in its results." - Leo Tolstoy
1. Structure: is it inverted and is it possible to rewrite as:

If the requirements of the Christian doctrine seem strange and even alarming to the than of
the social theory of life, the requirements of the social doctrine seemed no less strange, incomprehensible, and alarming to the savage of ancient times when it was not fully understood and could not be foreseen in its results.

Yes, and this is more natural in modern English.

Does the word "it" stand for "the requirements of the social doctrine"?

It possibly stands for just "the social doctrine".

2. The phrase "than of": what does it mean?

I have no idea. I think there must be a misprint here. In some versions I found, the word "man" replaced "than"; it is still difficult to understand. Perhaps someone knows what the original Russian version is.

3. Tense harmony: Why is the first if-clause in the present tense, while the rest is in the past?
See below..
The tenses fit. Here is a simpler example:

If this seems difficult nowadays, it seemed impossible only ten years ago.

Here "if" has the idea of " "if (and this is almost certainly the case)...

Honore

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you very much sir. Regards.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"If the requirements of the Christian doctrine seem strange and even alarming to the fan of the social theory of life, ...
Hey, it's a complete guess, but maybe it was dictated. It works.

Honore

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Thank you very much sir. That word replacement looks fine.

As a matter of fact, I thought of it as a typo when I first saw while reading on my Kindle, but since it is still the same in a different text on Internet, I had to ask here. Probably, the Kindle version also uses the same source.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.