Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    phoenix Guest

Help with some slang

Hello! I have a question:

I have recently heard several times the following sentence:

"Wake up and piss, the world is on fire!"

and I am trying to figure out what it means. From the context, I gather it is a call to action of some sort. Perhaps rash or unconsidered action? But I'm having a really hard time translating the imagery that I visualize into something usefully meaningful.

am I expected to piss on the fire, in an attempt to put it out?
    is "wake up and piss" a reference to one's morning routine, with "the world is on fire!" meaning something like "there's a lot happening outside, go be a part of it"?
    is it a contemptuous slam against someone who is perceived to be lazy?
    or something else I haven't considered?

thanks
    phoenix

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't heard the sentence before. Where did you hear it? Is it American?

phoenix Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    I haven't heard the sentence before. Where did you hear it? Is it American?
    Yes, I'm in Seattle.

RonBee is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with some slang

Your speculation about the phrase's possible meaning certainly makes sense to me. However, unless you can supply some context to go with it I can't help. I have never heard the expression either, and I am a lot closer to Seattle than Tdol is. (I'm in St. Louis.)

:)

phoenix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Your speculation about the phrase's possible meaning certainly makes sense to me. However, unless you can supply some context to go with it I can't help. I have never heard the expression either, and I am a lot closer to Seattle than Tdol is. (I'm in St. Louis.)

My girlfriend (to whom punctuality, social interaction and raw productivity are important, necessary and easy) was arguing with me (to whom those same things are flexible, often annoying and sometimes bordering on outright painful) about how I spend my time. When I asked for more explanation, she exclaimed the phrase in question. When I indicated I didn't know what that meant, she gave up. But she's said it to me three times on three different occasions and it dosen't register with her that I really don't understand what she means.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like
    I presume, then, that it means that if the world is actually burning, one should move a bit faster and not take a trip to the John.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee

My girlfriend (to whom punctuality, social interaction and raw productivity are important, necessary and easy) was arguing with me (to whom those same things are flexible, often annoying and sometimes bordering on outright painful) about how I spend my time. When I asked for more explanation, she exclaimed the phrase in question. When I indicated I didn't know what that meant, she gave up. But she's said it to me three times on three different occasions and it doesn't register with her that I really don't understand what she means.
    I think you have given me the answer.

The expression is, I think, similar in nature (if not identical in meaning) to fish or cut bait or the earthier shit or get off the pot. In other words, she wants you to adjust more to her timetable. As I see it, there are times when you don't move fast enough to suit her. As i see it, she is warning you that if you don't move fast enough you might be consumed by the fire. What that fire might be probably depends on the circumstances.

Post Thanks / Like

My girlfriend (to whom punctuality, social interaction and raw productivity are important, necessary and easy) was arguing with me (to whom those same things are flexible, often annoying and sometimes bordering on outright painful) about how I spend my time.
    Ok. I could be dead wrong, but from a female's point of view, I'd say she's telling you to be more pro-active. Stop procrastinating (i.e. being prone in bed), get your act together (i.e. take your morning piss), take control (i.e. the world is on fire) of your life.

Cas :D

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    That too.

:wink:

phoenix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Casiopea
    My girlfriend (to whom punctuality, social interaction and raw productivity are important, necessary and easy) was arguing with me (to whom those same things are flexible, often annoying and sometimes bordering on outright painful) about how I spend my time.
    Ok. I could be dead wrong, but from a female's point of view, I'd say she's telling you to be more pro-active. Stop procrastinating (i.e. being prone in bed), get your act together (i.e. take your morning piss), take control (i.e. the world is on fire) of your life.

Cas :D
    thanks -- that certianly fits the context.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast