Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Here is the story which I have read. So what do you think about my pronunciation?
I'm learning American-English. Thanks all.
And I'm glad it you correct my pronunciation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq2OGjK413E

Last edited:

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Here is the story which I have read. So what do you think about my pronunciation?

‪Pronunciation.flv‬‏ - YouTube

Well, what do you expect us to say?
So, Do you think you have American accent? Sadly, No
Well, you do have some difficulty pronouncing some words properly like the word 'while'. You dropped the /l/ sound and pronounced /wai/. was that a British pronunciation? The word 'had' doesn't sound audibly. In the word 'asked', your /t/ sound doesn't sound like the actual /T/ sound. And the word 'husband', you appeared to have pronounced it as həbənd. The last mistake is the word 'allow'.You were supposed to pronounced the word as /əlau/ instead of /əlo/..Well, I wasn't really sure of the pronunciation of the word 'mrs. so I just checked and it's pronounced /mIsIz/..By the way, Do you really speak American English? I wouldn't pronounce the words like cause,thought,doctor,shopping,got in the way you did. Sorry if I hurt you!:)

trangwin25

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
No problem, I must try more and more :D. So, thank you very much.:-D

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
No problem, I must try more and more :D. So, thank you very much.:-D

Well, to me, I would feel somewhat down if someone corrected my pronunciation.:-(
But, I'll buck up and move on in no time as I know there's no point in bothering it. Instead, you should practise speaking English and brush up on your pronunciation as well. :)
You know why some of the people criticize? because they hope you'll get IMPROVED. So suck it up, take all the criticism in your stride and YOU'LL be a better person!:)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hey, tragwin. May I offer a couple of suggestions?

You tend to elide consonants in word auslaut. (Please ask if you don't understand any of the words I am using.) You say

• [əˈbaʊ] instead of [əˈbaʊt] ("about" -- the letter "t" should be pronounced -- 0:06)
  • [faɪn] instead of [faɪnd] ("find" -- the letter "d" should be pronounced -- 0:08-0:09)
  • [sɛn] instead of [sɛnd] ("send" -- the letter "d" should be pronounced -- 0:12)
  • [maɪ] instead of [maɪt] ("might" -- the string "ght"should be pronounced as /t/ -- 0:27)
  • [daʊ] instead of [daʊn] ("down" -- the letter "n" should be pronounced -- 0:34, 1:19, 1:22)
  • [waɪ] instead of [waɪɫ] or [waɪl] ("while" -- the letter "l" should be pronounced as /ɫ/ (see) or /l/ -- 0:40)
  • [wɛ] instead of [wɛn] ("when" -- the letter "n" should be pronounced -- 0:44)
  • ['aʊɚ] instead of ['aʊɚz] ("hours" -- the letter "s" should be pronounced as /z/ -- 0:46)
  • [bi'saɪ] instead of [bi'saɪd] ("beside" -- the letter "d" shold be pronounced -- 0:56)
  • [səˈpɹaɪ] instead of [səˈpɹaɪz] ("surprise" -- the letter "s" is pronounced as /z/ -- 1:06)

Also, you tend to devoice consonants in the same position. All of the following words have a voiced consonant in word auslaut. You use voiceless consonants instead.

These end in /z/, not in /s/:

was, packages.

These end in /d/, not in /t/:

could , telephoned, should, found, said, wanted, answered, husband, had, did.

This word ends in /g/, not in /k/:

big.

The last thing I want to tell you is that I was able to understand every word you said. Very well done.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina

‪Pronunciation.flv‬‏ - YouTube

About it (just spoke word by word, you should say aboutit...use linking speech)
Anything (you pronounced "Anyting", you can't distinguish "T" sound and "TH sound")
Tests (You pronounced "Test", only one "s" sound, there are two "s" sounds in the word....).....................................

Status
Not open for further replies.