Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"By the time she gets to the airport, I'm going to have been waiting for her for two hours."

I was wondering if the future perfect progressive is commonly used with "going to"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"By the time she gets to the airport, I'm going to have been waiting for her for two hours."

I was wondering if the future perfect progressive is commonly used with "going to"?

It's fine though personally I would say "By the time she gets to the airport, I'll have been waiting for two hours". As I'm sure you know though, "will" and "going to" are often interchangeable and even though some people seem to think that there is a subtle difference between the two, I find that that is rarely the case.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's fine though personally I would say "By the time she gets to the airport, I'll have been waiting for two hours". As I'm sure you know though, "will" and "going to" are often interchangeable and even though some people seem to think that there is a subtle difference between the two, I find that that is rarely the case.

Sure. It often depends on the speaker's preference.Would you hear people using it in GB or other English speaking countries you could have been to?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sure. It often depends on the speaker's preference.Would you hear people using it in GB or other English speaking countries you could have been to?

I've visited America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa but I can't say that I was concentrating on their use of English! I was too busy having a lovely holiday!

I can certainly vouch for the fact that in BrE, I would expect to hear both used.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I've visited America, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa but I can't say that I was concentrating on their use of English! I was too busy having a lovely holiday!

I can certainly vouch for the fact that in BrE, I would expect to hear both used.

I'm going to have my question rephrased. So I wouldn't sound weird and foreign If used it in a conversation?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm going to have my question rephrased. So I wouldn't sound [STRIKE]weired[/STRIKE] weird and foreign If used it in a conversation?

As I said, both are used in BrE.

I'm not sure though what you meant by "sounding weird and foreign". They are two different things. If you speak English with a non-English accent, it will be clear that you are foreign even if your actual English (grammar etc) is perfect.

I don't know how someone could sound "weird" by their use of the future perfect progressive!

I think non-native speakers worry far too much about what native speakers are going to think when we hear you speak. Generally, we are simply very impressed that anyone has made the effort to speak English at all - we don't pick it apart or pick up on all your errors. We listen attentively and only if we really can't understand something would we ask you to rephrase something. Note: I'm talking about when you're speaking English direct in a natural, conversational situation. On here, we will correct your grammar, spelling, punctuation etc as you're specifically on this forum to learn.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
As I said, both are used in BrE.

I'm not sure though what you meant by "sounding weird and foreign". They are two different things. If you speak English with a non-English accent, it will be clear that you are foreign even if your actual English (grammar etc) is perfect.

I don't know how someone could sound "weird" by their use of the future perfect progressive!

I think non-native speakers worry far too much about what native speakers are going to think when we hear you speak. Generally, we are simply very impressed that anyone has made the effort to speak English at all - we don't pick it apart or pick up on all your errors. We listen attentively and only if we really can't understand something would we ask you to rephrase something. Note: I'm talking about when you're speaking English direct in a natural, conversational situation. On here, we will correct your grammar, spelling, punctuation etc as you're specifically on this forum to learn.

I heard some non-native speakers use structers like "I'll already be waiting for...." instead of the future progressive tense. Now got the picture that it wouldn't be one of those with the futre perfect progressive+ going to.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

I think you'll find that's it's very rare to say "going to have been verbing".

"Next month, I will have been living here for ten years." Common
"Next month, I'm going to have been living here for ten years." Rare.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think you'll find that's it's very rare to say "going to have been verbing".

"Next month, I will have been living here for ten years." Common
"Next month, I'm going to have been living here for ten years." Rare.

Would "going to have+verb/ed" also be rare?

"How many countries are you going to have visited, when you're done travelling around Europe?"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Would "going to have+verb/ed" also be rare?

"How many countries are you going to have visited, when you're done travelling around Europe?"?
That sounds OK.

You can actually use them together.
"I'm going to be a better student," I said 23 months ago.
"Next month, I will have been going to be a better student for two years." (No one would actually say this, though it's grammatical)
"Next month, I'm going to have been going to be a better student for two years." (No normal person would even think of this, but it's grammatical.)

"In four years time I'm going to have been going to college for two years," I said almost two years ago. "Next month, I'm going to have been going to have been going to college for two years for two years." For two years, I will have been intending to have been going to college for two years in two years time. (I'm pretty sure that's right! But don't try it at home!)

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
That sounds OK.

You can actually use them together.
"I'm going to be a better student," I said 23 months ago.
"Next month, I will have been going to be a better student for two years." (No one would actually say this, though it's grammatical)
"Next month, I'm going to have been going to be a better student for two years." (No normal person would even think of this, but it's grammatical.)

"In four years time I'm going to have been going to college for two years," I said almost two years ago. "Next month, I'm going to have been going to have been going to college for two years for two years." For two years, I will have been intending to have been going to college for two years in two years time. (I'm pretty sure that's right! But don't try it at home!)

So "going to have+verb/ed" is more often used than "going to have been+verb/ing"?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
So "going to have+verb/ed" is more often used than "going to have been+verb/ing"?
Yes, but only because that concept is more often needed to be expressed.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Costa Rica
Current Location
Costa Rica
Just because it is much easier to say, I would probably use:
I will have been waiting..
I will have waited...

:-D