Post Thanks / Like

Default mid-last-century

Well this is my first thread. I've posted before and I have opined quite a bit, but now I need help!!
    I need to refer to the middle part of the last century in formal writing. Somehow, I am not sure about saying mid-last-century. Does it sound OK? What about mid-nineteenth-century? Keep in mind it's supposed to be formal writing!
    Thank you very much!!!!
    Cheers
    Ed
    Last edited by edinohio; 22-Sep-2005 at 06:10.

M56 Guest

Default Re: mid-last-century

Quote Originally Posted by edinohio
    Well this is my first thread. I've posted before and I have opined quite a bit, but now I need help!!
    I need to refer to the middle part of the last century in formal writing. Somehow, I am not sure about saying mid-last-century. Does it sound OK? What about mid-nineteenth-century? Keep in mind it's supposed to be formal writing!
    Thank you very much!!!!
    Cheers
    Ed
    The best way to get answers for such questions is to "Google". You can often see the kind of company an expression keeps regarding register, and so forth.

Here, the company looks pretty formal:

The Anglo American Peace Movement in the Mid-Nineteenth Century
    (ISBN: 0836967445)
    Precio: $17.80 en 1 Tienda

Editor: Ayer Co Pub

Formato: Hardcover

MSRP: $ XXX

Sinopsis: Not Available

http://www.preciomania.com/search_ge...sbn=0836967445

Mid-nineteenth century barometers: Being a reprint of Manual of the mercurial and aneroid barometers (1858) by John Henry Belville, to which is appended ... by a Fellow of the Meteorological Society (Unknown Binding)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...42352?v=glance

I'd feel very comfortable using the expresssion in a formal register after getting such results from Google.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot! I actually googled boh terms and found both indeed. However, I wasn't too sure about the sources I found for mid-last-century. On the other hand, the sites I found for mid-nineteenth century sounded pretty reliable. That's why I wanted to double check. I am going to go with mid-nineteenth
    Thank you again
    Ed

M56 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by edinohio
    Thanks a lot! I actually googled boh terms and found both indeed. However, I wasn't too sure about the sources I found for mid-last-century. On the other hand, the sites I found for mid-nineteenth century sounded pretty reliable. That's why I wanted to double check. I am going to go with mid-nineteenth
    Thank you again
    Ed
    Good plan.