• Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Teaching English in Japan

I'd love to work for them, but I suspect jobs in the British Council in Tokyo are about the most competitive in English teaching.

ita13 is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • Indonesian
      • Home Country:
      • Indonesia
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Is it true that they only hire native English speaking teachers?? can people from other Asian countries apply? I mean non-native can also speak English fluently and maybe even teach better.

I'm With Stupid is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam
    Post Thanks / Like

The reason for only hiring natives has nothing to do with quality teaching though, it's a marketing thing. From the adverts online, yes they only hire natives. However, I haven't worked in Japan, and it's entirely possible that there are plenty of smaller schools hiring from within the country that would consider non-native speakers too. But that would mean moving to Japan first, which is expensive when you don't have a job yet.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Some places do employ non-native speakers, but also pay them less. I've seen teachers from the Philippines complaining that they are classified as non-native speakers and paid less.

Kengo is offline Junior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Japanese
      • Home Country:
      • Japan
      • Current Location:
      • Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by I'm With Stupid View Post
    The reason for only hiring natives has nothing to do with quality teaching though, it's a marketing thing. From the adverts online, yes they only hire natives. However, I haven't worked in Japan, and it's entirely possible that there are plenty of smaller schools hiring from within the country that would consider non-native speakers too. But that would mean moving to Japan first, which is expensive when you don't have a job yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Some places do employ non-native speakers, but also pay them less. I've seen teachers from the Philippines complaining that they are classified as non-native speakers and paid less.
    I agree with both these posts. It is mainly for marketing reasons that native English speakers are preferred, because the customers (Japanese students) cannot always judge the teacher's ability themselves and the word "native" gives a hallmark.
    I have some European and Asian friends teaching English in Japan so there are jobs available, definitely less openings and quite often less pay though. Also true that there are more opportunities within the country. Kids schools tend to set lower requirements.

kimfuji is offline Newbie
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I taught English in Japan for 6 years. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't difficult but I did notice that many people who teach there have no background in teaching before they go, so the companies expect you to know nothing. They make you teach their own way even if it isn't useful. Fortunately I taught at university most of the time, so I could teach my own way as opposed to using a method. I taught at Hitachi Corporation which I really enjoyed. They are really nice, serious abut learning and pay well.
    Good Luck to you.
    Do you have experience teaching?
    If you do, that would help you get a job but it's not necessary. They really want teachers who have good pronunciation so Japanese learn how to speak correctly. (Of course, I understand that.) You could get a job as a JET. It's easy and after you work there you can search for something better.
    Kimberly Fujioka (I married a Japanese man, a former student.)
    By the way, I recently wrote a book on teaching ESL. It's called Get Them Talking! a Complete Guide to ESL. I taught for 25 years. I have a MA in Applied Linguistics from the University of Surrey.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2