Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
I want to know which of these sentences are grammatically the corrects :

1) You're the one who does that kind of thing, or
You're the one who do that kind of thing.

2) You're the only one who does it, or
You're the only one who do it.

3) You are the man who does this work properly, or
You are the man who do this work properly.

4) You're the only one who believes that it is true, or
You're the only one who believes that is true
.............................................................................................

Please can anyone explain the correct use of (yet), because I am a little confused about it in some sentences that I saw ?

Last edited:

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Does, does, does, believes.

It would be more orderly if you started a different thread for your question about 'yet', since it's an entirely different issue. I suggest that you provide some examples regarding your doubts.

-not a teacher-

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I want to know which of these sentences are grammatically the corrects :

1) You're the one who does that kind of thing, or
You're the one who do that kind of thing.

NOT A TEACHER

(1) Maybe you are confused between:

(a) You are the one who does that kind of thing.

(b) You are one of those who do that kind of thing.

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO DOES THAT KIND OF THING

You are the one (person).

What person?

The person who does that kind of thing. ("Does" agrees with "who," which refers to the

singular word "person.")

YOU ARE ONE OF THOSE WHO DO THAT KIND OF THING

You are one of those people.

What people?

The people who do that kind of thing. ("Do" agrees with "who," which refers to the

plural word "people.")

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Excellent explanation, Parser. This way of reasoning things out is most helpful for non-natives. It's very practical and avoids meddling with grammatical names and labels.

grammarfreak

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Dominican Republic
Current Location
Dominican Republic
Thank you Hedwig :

In regards to '' yet '' is about its usage as conjuntion, I know how to use it as adverb ( in contrast with already ), for example :

The best is yet to come ( like this )

In regards to '' do '' and '' does '' I already known that is a matter of subject/verb agreement.

Any assistance that you or other members can give me regarding the use of '' yet '' as conjuntion, will be appreciated and pleased.

Sincerely,

Grammarfreak

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Any assistance that you or other members can give me regarding the use of '' yet '' as conjuntion, will be appreciated and pleased.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello,

I am delighted to present some information that I have found.

1. "Yet acts as a coordinating conjunction meaning 'but' [in] 'Ralph acts the part of a buffoon, yet I enjoy his antics.' "

Source: Morton S. Freeman, A Treasury for Word Lovers (copyright 1983).

2. "Yet is ... a coordinating conjunction roughly equivalent to but: His speech was almost unintelligible, yet I found that I enjoyed it."

Source: Wilma and David R. Ebbitt, Perrin's Index to English (copyright 1939 ... 1977).

3. "[T]he conjunct yet ... has a very similar force to but in: He tried hard, yet he failed."

[Also] "He tried hard, but yet he failed."

[My comments. If I am wrong, you can be sure that someone will correct me. By "conjunct," that book seems to mean what we call an "adverb," but it has connecting force. In other words, the "real" conjunction is "but." But nowadays, most books accept "yet" as a conjunction. So I believe that we can say:

I try to be accurate, yet I often make mistakes.
I try to be accurate, but yet I often make mistakes.
I try to be accurate, and yet I often make mistakes.

In the first sentence, most books would probably call "yet" a coordinating conjunction; that book, however, calls it a conjunct. That is, an adverb that can stand on its own for connecting purposes.]

And "that book" is A Concise Grammar of Contemporary English (1973) by Professors Randolph Quirk and Sidney Greenbaum, page 254.

James

P.S. One of my favorite (and older) books will NOT accept "yet" as a conjunction. It says that "yet" is a so-called "transitional adverb" such as "therefore," "hence," "nevertheless," etc. So I think that it wants "yet" to be written like this: "I try to be accurate; yet, I make many mistakes." This "older" book is Descriptive English Grammar by House and Harman (copyright 1931 and 1950), page 425. Since it is almost 2013, I guess that we can just call "yet" a coordinating conjunction.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.