Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
How about this? Why don't you just bag school and we'll go catch a movie.

Bag is defined as (Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English):

bag 2 verb ( past tense and past participle bagged , present participle bagging ) [ transitive ]

1 to put things into bags : He got a job bagging groceries.

2 informal to manage to get something that a lot of people want : Try to bag a couple of seats at the front.

3 British English informal to score a goal or a point in sport : Larsson bagged his thirtieth goal of the season in Celtic’s win.

4 especially British English informal to kill or catch an animal or bird : We bagged a rabbit.

5 be bagged and zip-tied if prisoners are bagged and zip-tied, bags are put over their heads and their hands are tied together
bag something ↔ up phrasal verb especially British English
to put things into bags : We bagged up the money before we closed the shop.

To bag school here means "to skip school". But home come this meaning isn't in the dictionary? Isn't this a non-standard way to say to skip school? Or is this American slang?

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Bag is defined as (Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English):

To bag school here means "to skip school". But home come this meaning isn't in the dictionary? Isn't this a non-standard way to say to skip school? Or is this American slang?

Perhaps it's American, I've never met with it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've never heard it used this way either.

In BrE, we "bunk off", "play truant from" or "skip" school if we take a day off without permission.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We bag all sorts of things: let's bag the party, he bagged school, I can't believe he bagged that meeting.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina

In BrE, we "bunk off", "play truant from" or "skip" school if we take a day off without permission.

And what about 'skive off'. Do you skive off school, a lesson, homework?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
And what about 'skive off'. Do you skive off school, a lesson, homework?

Ah yes! I'd forgotten to "skive off". That would apply to school but not to homework because it means "to stay away without permission" not "to not do".

It has a double meaning for work. It can mean to stay away without permission but it can also mean that someone is present at work but is just not actually doing any work, resulting in their being called a "skiver".

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Bag" is used in AmE slang to mean "skip, avoid, get rid of, dispose of, conceal". The use of that word in that way gained popularity after Moon Zappa's "Valley Girl" became a hit: "Like, ohmigod, like totally....like I went to have my toenails done and the girl was totally grossed out and said like 'bag those toenails'.....I was at this party and this guy called me a 'beast' and was all like 'bag your face'......"

Obviously, very much a slang phrase. :roll:

Chicken Sandwich

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Netherlands
Thanks. I couldn't find this definition in NTC’s Dictionary of American Slang and Colloquial Expressions so if it weren't for this forum, I'd be lost! (Even though it was obvious from the context that the person was referring to "skipping school"...)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran

Has any of the verbs you mentioned got the same sense as 'slope off', which I think refers to the situation when one covertly leaves school or work to avoid work or something?

Thanks for all those terms! :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Has any of the verbs you mentioned got the same sense as 'slope off', which I think refers to the situation when one covertly leaves school or work to avoid work or something?

Thanks for all those terms! :)

You can "slope off" from anything - work, school, a party, a meeting etc. It just means to leave quietly and, as you said, covertly so that no-one notices you leave.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You can "slope off" from anything - work, school, a party, a meeting etc. It just means to leave quietly and, as you said, covertly so that no-one notices you leave.

Hope you don't mind me asking this, but, could 'bunk off' mean the same as 'slope off', say in the case of a party?

Thanks!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hope you don't mind me asking this, but, could 'bunk off' mean the same as 'slope off', say in the case of a party?

Thanks!

I've personally never used (or heard) "bunk off" for anything other than school. I don't even know if it's still used. It was the main phrase 25 years ago (OUCH!) when I was at school!

The two have different senses.

If you slope off, then you leave somewhere/something that you have already turned up at. If you went to a party but you decided to leave early - you slope off at 10pm.

If you bunk off school, you don't go in at all. You might leave the house in your school uniform but you never actually arrive at school. You spend the whole day somewhere else, probably with some friends, and then you go home later in the day. Your parents think you've been to school but you haven't been anywhere near the building!

To slope off, you have to have been in attendance in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.