Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Vocabulary

  1. apparrode
    Guest
    #1

    Vocabulary

    - I donīt really understand the words lifelong and long-term well, especially long-term.

    For example, when I say sb is a lifelong friend, do I mean :

    a) This person has always been my friends, all through my life ?
    b) This person will always be my friend?
    (In other word, does it concert past, future or both?)

    - What about long-term? I only found examples such as "long-term effects, employment", but I canīt make up sentences. Can you give me at least three different examples?

    Thanks,

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #2
    Someone who is a lifelong friend has been your friend all your life.

    Long-term is a relative term, but it generally implies a duration of time measured in years.

    Welcome to our friendly forum.


  3. apparrode
    Guest
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Someone who is a lifelong friend has been your friend all your life.

    Long-term is a relative term, but it generally implies a duration of time measured in years.

    Welcome to our friendly forum.

    ---------

    And when I say: "I hope he is a lifelong husband"? Does it mean that I want to remain married to him all my life?

    - Could you please give me some examples of long-term?

  4. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by apparrode
    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee
    Someone who is a lifelong friend has been your friend all your life.

    Long-term is a relative term, but it generally implies a duration of time measured in years.

    Welcome to our friendly forum.

    ---------

    And when I say: "I hope he is a lifelong husband"? Does it mean that I want to remain married to him all my life?

    - Could you please give me some examples of long-term?
    I don't think you can say lifelong husband. It's not possible to have been married to someone for your whole life.

    long-term

    • He made a long-term commitment. He signed a ten-year contract.


    That's all I can think of right now. A Google search would probably yield quite a few examples.

    :)

  5. kain
    Guest
    #5
    lifelong means "lasting the whole of a lifetime"

    long-term refers to "the period of time continuing from now long into the future" :)

  6. RonBee's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,570
    • Post Thanks / Like
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by kain
    lifelong means "lasting the whole of a lifetime"

    long-term refers to "the period of time continuing from now long into the future" :)
    That is true.

    :D

Similar Threads

  1. Vocabulary Building
    By will mcculloch in forum General Language Discussions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 16-Mar-2009, 17:33
  2. Vocabulary Development Strategies Discussion Group
    By will mcculloch in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-Nov-2003, 16:55

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •