• Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

• Post Thanks / Like

The president's speech

Please, check if the following passage is grammatically correct. Thanks!

**This is a translated passage. It is neither intended to express a political opinion nor start a political discussion. I'm just interested in the language. **

In his speech, a couple of weeks ago, the president tried to lower the flames but totally failed. The public neither any longer believes a word he says nor listens to his promises to introduce reforms. The president called on the refugees to return to their hometowns and villages, but they surely know they will have to face the army once they return. The only reform the public is willing to hear about is either the departure or the elimination of the president's family, or rather, the Mafia, which has taken over the country, its economy and the lives of its citizens.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: The president's speech

Quote Originally Posted by motico View Post
    Please, check if the following passage is grammatically correct. Thanks!

**This is a translated passage. It is neither intended to express a political opinion nor start a political discussion. I'm just interested in the language. **

In his speech, a couple of weeks ago, the president tried to lower the flames but totally failed. The public neither any longer believes a word he says nor listens to his promises to introduce reforms. The president called on the refugees to return to their hometowns and villages, but they surely know they will have to face the army once they return. The only reform the public is willing to hear about is either the departure or the elimination of the president's family, or rather, the Mafia, which has taken over the country, its economy and the lives of its citizens.
    It's fine, though I don't really like 'lower the flames'. 'Ease the tension', 'ease things', 'reduce the tension', 'turn down the heat', and 'pour oil on troubled waters' are possibilities, but I don't particularly like those, either. 'Fan the flames' is a good expression, but I cannot think of a good opposite.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Hebrew
      • Home Country:
      • Israel
      • Current Location:
      • Israel

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's fine, though I don't really like 'lower the flames'. 'Ease the tension', 'ease things', 'reduce the tension', 'turn down the heat', and 'pour oil on troubled waters' are possibilities, but I don't particularly like those, either. 'Fan the flames' is a good expression, but I cannot think of a good opposite.
    I've always been told that when translating, I should be as loyal as possible to the original text. I've found out that the expression "lower the flames" exists in English as well as in Hebrew. If so, shouldn't I give up my personal preference?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

• Post Thanks / Like

'Lower the flames' appears unidiomatic to me, but that may be just personal. It can certainly be understood.