• Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Must or have to?

Today it's raining. I have to stay at home and I __2__ study hard because I __3__ find a good job in the future.
    Hello, everyone.

I think both have to and must can be used in #3.

I have to find a good job in the future. This may be said when one's going to graduate in the near future, knowing that he's going to need a lot of money to pay back the school loan.

I must find a good job in the future. This may be said when one wants to gather enough money to travel round the world.

The same is true for #2.

I have to study hard. I've borrowed a handsome amount of money from the bank. A good job is needed and it requires me to work hard, however much I want to get out and play basketball with my mates.

I must work hard. I love to have my life under my control. I am only a student now. But I understand that I can actually change the course of my life by studying hard and therefore am willing to sacrafice some of my leiture time to achieve this aim.

What do you think?

Many thanks

Richard

5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Must or have to?

I agree with you.

Today it's raining. I have to stay at home and I __2__ study hard because I __3__ find a good job in the future

I think that questions such as the one above are pointless, because there is an argument for both 'must' and 'have to' in both gaps.

A further complication with these two verbs is that many Americans appear not to use 'must', so the difference felt by some native speakers is unreal for others.

For many speakers of BrE, 'must' suggests an obligation imposed by the speaker, 'have to' an obligation imposed by somebody else:

Teacher: You must do this homework tonight. (I, the teacher, impose the obligation.

Mother: You have to do this homework tonight. (The teacher has imposed this obligation, not I, the mother).

Even this difference is not always observed when the subject is 'I'. In an utterance such as "Sorry, I have to go now", the speaker may use 'have to' when there is no external obligation, to suggest a polite unwillingness to leave.

Some people appear to feel that 'must' is somehow stronger than 'have to'; however I have heard others claim that 'have to is stronger than 'must', so that's no help.