English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Mexico
Hello all

I am trying to find a better online company to work for.... I hope someone out there can help me....

I am curently working for tutorabc and I have completed over 1000 classes, They provide all the class material, clients software etc... they make it really easy and they have as many classes available as you can teach....However the drawback is that is only pays $10 USD for each 45 min class. I am trying to find another online company to try working for with a similar platform. I don't want to make up my lesson plans, want simplicity...:-D

I am hoping to find something that pays between $12-$15 USD a class.... There are so many companies out there it makes my head spin...

I thought we could use this thread to throw ideas around. I would be happy to share with you my experiences also.... Englishtown is another that is similar to tutorabc but again it is only $10 USD a class

THANKS ALL!!!
:-D:):cool::-(

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Mexico
Hey

What type of feedback is that??

This is a friendly thread, why would you make a comment like that?

Big money????? Do you know what big money is???? haha

If I wanted to make my own lesson plans and post my profile and try to build my own business there are 1000 sites like that out there and you can charge easily $20-$30 USD a class, I would define that as big money teaching english.... However $12-$15 USD a class is hardly big money.....

This thread was for positive comments only :lol:.....

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
This thread was for positive comments only .....
If you want to make a reasonable living in TEFL, you will almost certainly need to be willing to prepare your own lessons.

No negatives there.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Where teaching's just following a set of instructions, regardless of whether it's on the web or in the classroom, the pay will always be lower. I think Fivejedjon is right about that. A method that removes the teacher's creativity, is de-skilling and will always be worked towards maximising the profits of those who created the materials used. One of the main points about rigid methodologies is that the teacher is a low value item in the chain. There might be places operating the same sort of system but paying a bit more, but prices at that end of the business do tend to be same-y.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Mexico
OK thanks for the replies guys.....

Well maybe I will have to get my buy in gear and start working at getting lesson plans prepared....

I have never worked on any of the other websites like "myngle" or any other ones..

I do have about 50 lessons plans right now ready to go, I guess I could give it a try....

Can anyone help direct me in the right direction?? My mind is blown with all the sites out there and it seems like they are flooded with tutors...

Here are my qualifications:

TEFL certified
Taught at University level... Tech De Monterray in Mexico.... Very highly credited University
More than 1000 classes with tutorabc
Owned my own school, private and group classes....

Any suggestions would be a great help

:lol::):-D

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Mexico
Get my but in gear.... LOL

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I'm With Stupid

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Vietnam
I do have about 50 lessons plans right now ready to go, I guess I could give it a try....

I don't really understand this. Why would you have lesson plans before you know who you're teaching?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't really understand this. Why would you have lesson plans before you know who you're teaching?
I see your point, but I have to say that when I had prepared a lesson on a certain area of lexis/grammar/pronunciation or on a particular theme, I would keep the lesson plan afterwards. It was often useful, sometimes with very little amendment, for future lessons.

If you teach several fairly standard courses, the the overall lesson plans are often very similar for each group of learners. This is especially true if you are following a course book.

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Mexico
I have just saved lesson plans made up by other friends of mine that teach online, I have saved them over the years..... They are all different topics, grammer, conversation, leveled from 6-12. All PDF 45min - 1hr lessons...... Of course I would have to taylor or make up new ones if I didn't have one that fit for the students needs...

Thanks for the tip on the site... checking it out :lol:

Pretty Genie

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello all

I am trying to find a better online company to work for.... I hope someone out there can help me....

I am curently working for tutorabc and I have completed over 1000 classes, They provide all the class material, clients software etc... they make it really easy and they have as many classes available as you can teach....However the drawback is that is only pays $10 USD for each 45 min class. I am trying to find another online company to try working for with a similar platform. I don't want to make up my lesson plans, want simplicity...:-D

I am hoping to find something that pays between $12-$15 USD a class.... There are so many companies out there it makes my head spin...

I thought we could use this thread to throw ideas around. I would be happy to share with you my experiences also.... Englishtown is another that is similar to tutorabc but again it is only $10 USD a class

THANKS ALL!!!
:-D:):cool::-(

Hi. I've worked pretty steadily for both Talk to Canada, and Online Online. I've quit both for different reasons; however, they both pay $15/hr. And you don't have to make up your own lessons, until you start teaching individuals. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.