Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,

Could someone help me with some words that have the sound /ʧ/ in between them. I am associating these words with pictures so that students can learn the meanings as they learn the word. These are a few words that I got: Armchair, Butcher, Cappuccino, Statue. Can you suggest four more?

Thanks,
Orella

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
archer, teacher, matches, torches,
Remember that some speakers use /tj/ in statue.

Orella

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thank you, so much. Did you mean that statue is not a good example?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Thank you, so much. Did you mean that statue is not a good example?
I would prefer examples in which the pronunciation is /ʧ/ for everyone. Possibly, being a /tj/ man myself, I am biased.

Orella

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Thanks, that is a good thought and I am adopting that in to the word list that I am creating to teach sounds. Could you give me one another example too with the sound /ʧ/ in the middle of the word.

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
merchant, orchard, feature, gesture, posture, mischief, juncture, capture, lecture, culture, adventure, pilchard, richer, wretched,

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
merchant, orchard, feature, gesture, posture, mischief, juncture, capture, lecture, culture, adventure, pilchard, richer, wretched,

All the '-ture' ones are excluded by a related version of 5jj's objection. In a greenhouse once I saw a pitcher plant and pointed to it, saying 'Look - that's pretty as a pitcher'. But the pun wasn't very good, because that's not how I pronounce 'picture'.

b

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
All the '-ture' ones are excluded by a related version of 5jj's objection.
Gimson gives the examples "ture" as word-medial (intervocalic or consonant preceeding).

Daniel Jones´dictionary shows "picture" with the /ʧ/ sound.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Gimson gives the examples "ture" as word-medial (intervocalic or consonant preceeding).

Daniel Jones´dictionary shows "picture" with the /ʧ/ sound.

Maybe so, but I didn't learn to speak from a reference book ;-) Like 5jj, I'm a /tjǝ/ man; and there are many many of us.

b

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Maybe so, but I didn't learn to speak from a reference book ;-) Like 5jj, I'm a /tjǝ/ man; and there are many many of us.
b
I see, you both belong to the very careful speakers that Gimson mentions. ;-)

Variants. Some very careful speakers, however, use /t/ and /d/ + /j/ in words which otherwise frequently have /ʧ/ or /dʒ/, e.g. gesture, culture, virtue, statue, righteous, fortune, literature, question, posture, Christian, soldier, grandeur.” (Gimson)

Last edited:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I see, you both belong to the very careful speakers that Gimson mentions. ;-)

Variants. Some very careful speakers, however, use /t/ and /d/ + /j/ in words which otherwise frequently have /ʧ/ or /dʒ/, e.g. gesture, culture, virtue, statue, righteous, fortune, literature, question, posture, Christian, soldier, grandeur.” (Gimson)
I really dislike this word, "careful", used in such context. I'm pretty sure that most of these speakers aren't much more careful than others. This is just how they speak.

mara_ce

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I´ve got Gimson´s Pronunciation of English, Revised by Alan Cruttenden, Fifth Edition. It´s a book for anyone studying the sounds of English or teaching English pronunciation to non-native speakers.

The “-ture” examples with the sound /ʧ/ are given as word-medial (intervocalic) e.g. feature, and word-medial (consonant preceding) e.g. gesture, posture, juncture, capture, lecture, culture, adventure.

I copied part of the variants from page 161. I agree with you. Maybe “very careful speakers” isn´t appropriate, but that is what the book says.

Orella

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I have got the words I needed. Thanks a lot for the help.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I´ve got Gimson´s Pronunciation of English, Revised by Alan Cruttenden, Fifth Edition. It´s a book for anyone studying the sounds of English or teaching English pronunciation to non-native speakers.

The “-ture” examples with the sound /ʧ/ are given as word-medial (intervocalic) e.g. feature, and word-medial (consonant preceding) e.g. gesture, posture, juncture, capture, lecture, culture, adventure.

I copied part of the variants from page 161. I agree with you. Maybe “very careful speakers” isn´t appropriate, but that is what the book says.

No problem ;-) I imagine Gimson's choice of the word that BC diliked was defensive - I'd be surprised if he wasn't one of those 'more careful speakers'.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.