Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What are all these alleged differences I keep hearing people say exist between American and British grammar?? I've kind of racked my brain here and I've come up with nothing. I've been reading British books, watching Britcoms, etc. since I was a little kid and I still haven't spotted any places where the grammatically correct thing to do in the American dialect is gramatically incorrect in England or vice versa. Some possibilities provided by universal English grammar are more commonly used in one place as opposed to another--for instance, an American will begin a question with, "Do you have..." whereas a Brit will say, "Have you got..."--but these difference are cosmetic or idiosyncratic and never seem to involve the breaking of any rules in either region. Or Brits will more often use contractions with literal possessives ("I've no idea!") but again, no rule against that here in US of A. So what are these different rules of grammar, and why have I never noticed any through, say, ninety thousand replays of every episode of "Fawlty Towers"?

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Ziggy.

Google American and British English differences and you'll find links to many articles on the subject.

Rover

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

To my knowledge there are very few differences in grammar. The differences are in spelling and vocabulary.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Re: not a teacher

In BrE for example, it is perfectly correct to say the window needs cleaning, but most AmE speakers think this is non-standard. There are many things like this, but as we're basically speaking the same language, the grammatical differences tend to be small.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

In BrE for example, it is perfectly correct to say the window needs cleaning, but most AmE speakers think this is non-standard. There are many things like this, but as we're basically speaking the same language, the grammatical differences tend to be small.

"The window needs to be cleaned."

Ziggy Zag

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am an American and I see nothing wrong about, "The window needs cleaning." It's maybe not the most commonly heard sentence but it's perfectly grammatically correct here: definite article + noun + predicate. In fact, it's a construction you'll hear a lot around here: "That guy needs serious psychological help!" The verb, so far as I can see, isn't dangling either. Really, what's un-American, or locally grammatically incorrect, about the statement?

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

It isn't "wrong". It's just not what you'd normally hear people say. Like using "I've" as a literal possessive, as noted above. Correct, but not common use here.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
One difference that may be considered a 'grammatical' difference is maybe the treatment of collective nouns as plural in BrE or singular in AmE.

I agree, though, that the differences between Br and AmE are not that marked. Actually, I'm not sure you can even call them different dialects. I prefer different varieties of English.

= Neither a teacher, nor a native speaker =

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

Does anyone call them different dialects? I'd think the word "dialect" implies greater differences in grammar and mutual comprehension than anything that exists between British and American. I say "have a try" or simply "try" instead of "have a go", I say "shut up" instead of "shut it", but if I read someone in a Harry Potter book use the second option I have no trouble understanding.

engr.yasir ali bhatti

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Sindhi
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Mexico
Not like as much.I like British accent.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina

Does anyone call them different dialects? I'd think the word "dialect" implies greater differences in grammar and mutual comprehension than anything that exists between British and American. I say "have a try" or simply "try" instead of "have a go", I say "shut up" instead of "shut it", but if I read someone in a Harry Potter book use the second option I have no trouble understanding.

I agree. Someone in a previous post, I think it was Ziggy, mentioned "American dialect" and I was addressing that thought.

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

Of course, 30 years ago when I was a grade-school kid reading Agatha Christie mysteries, I was completely at a loss with "fortnight".

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One of the differences shows up in a few prepositions.

In/on the street, at/on the weekends.

The differnces are pretty minor.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland

American English and British English are different sets of dialects rather than different dialects in my opinion.

gwright2803

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The language isn't called the "English" language for no reason! The only correct version is the English used in ENGLAND. Therefore. As England is part of Britain. The only correct version is british English.
American English is often referred to as "stupidize" by TEFL tutors in Europe anyway. And many people in Europe that use American English in an English exam will certainly FAIL !

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The language isn't called the "English" language for no reason! The only correct version is the English used in ENGLAND. And which of the many dialects in England would that one be?
Therefore. As England is part of Britain. The only correct version is[STRIKE] b[/STRIKE]British English. You may not have noticed, but Scotland and Wales are also parts of Great Britain.
American English is often referred to as "stupidize" by TEFL tutors in Europe anyway. NO serious English teacher would dream of making such a fatuous reference. And many people in Europe that use American English in an English exam will certainly FAIL ! No, they will not.
Ignorance and prejudice have no place in this forum. Try checking your facts before you make comments on something about which you appear to know little or nothing.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The language isn't called the "English" language for no reason! The only correct version is the English used in ENGLAND. Therefore. As England is part of Britain. The only correct version is british English.

I can't see how British English is somehow more correct that American English in America, or Australian English in Australia, etc, etc. There are many correct versions of English- one of the beauties of the language is its ability to adapt to new environments without losing its core comprehensibility.

American English is often referred to as "stupidize" by TEFL tutors in Europe anyway.

I have taught in a number of countries and never heard this.

And many people in Europe that use American English in an English exam will certainly FAIL !

This is factually wrong in the case of the most important exam suites like the Cambridge ESOL ones. They say that, for instance, both spelling systems are fine as long as they are used consistently. It's simply not true to say that an excellent piece of writing would fail in Europe if someone wrote color.

Also, please note that much of your post is insulting and goes against the terms and spirit of the forum. Here all variants of English are respected and regarded as equal. If you find that offensive, then please look for a British-English-Is-Best forum. Our approach is international to reflect the nature of the English language.

Status
Not open for further replies.