Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is a question of an official test, but how can you get it right when you can't understand The digitized image? Can a man of common sense easily understand that digitized (0 or 1) information can produce a rough but not detailed shapes? It's hard to understand, so only 30% of the testees got it right. I'd like to know if an average native speaker can understand this question.

ex)If you connect a primitive digital camera to your PC and aim it at a happy face, your computer might perceive the image as it appears on the right-hand side of the given drawing. The digitized image of the face is rough because the computer thinks in terms of ones and zeros and makes all-or-nothing approximations. This will, in some cases, lower subtle information about light versus dark differences, hence the lack of detail in the eyes and mouth, and in other cases exaggerate such differences, as shown in the edges of what should be a smooth, gradually curving face.

Attachments

• digitized face.jpg
    digitized face.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
To me, it means that the computer must make binary decisions to colour an area, so it has to choose one colour for each block, it can't have a pixel or are that it is colouring that is half grey and half black, so it cannot draw a genuine curve, but approximates it in steps, creating the rough edge. The left side is smooth, but the right shows the rougher image the computer makes.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This is a question of an official test, but how can you get it right when you can't understand The digitized image? Can a man of common sense easily understand that digitized (0 or 1) information can produce a rough but not detailed shapes?
Yes, I'd guess that most people with average or above intelligence would understand the concept of digitalisation of an image.

It's hard to understand, so only 30% of the testees got it right. I'd like to know if an average native speaker can understand this question.
About 30% sounds right. There's a difference between understanding how digital images work and understanding the paragraph below, .

ex)If you connect a primitive digital camera to your PC and aim it at a happy face, your computer might perceive the image as it appears on the right-hand side of the given drawing. The digitized image of the face isrough because the computer thinks in terms of ones and zeros and makes all-or-nothing approximations. This will, in some cases, lower subtle information about light versus dark differences, hence thelack of detail in the eyes and mouth, and in other casesexaggerate such differences, as shown in the edges of what should be asmooth, gradually curving face.
Your example is a statement. What's the test question that you refer to?

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Your example is a statement. What's the test question that you refer to?

The question was "Choose the inproper word" and in the original posting "enhance the information" in the 3rd line was corrected to "lower the information" as no one answered my question because it looked too complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.