piggy386 is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Past/Present Participial and Participial Phrases

Hi All,
    I asked the similiar question few weeks ago (http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14581). But I didn't get any response .
    I still encountered the same problem when I did this kind of question .
    Can someone please clarify this concept for me? Many Thanks!!!

The increased popularity and availability of televisions has led to the decline of regional dialects, language variations which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated by geographic isolation.

(A) which originate from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

(B) that originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

(C) originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

(D) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuated

( (E) originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating

I originally picked Choice B, but the OA is D. I gathered that choice B was wrong because "that" created a sentence fragment (Am I right on this )
    I guess the participial phrases are used as the adjectives to modify regional dialects (I may be wrong on this. I'm not quite sure...)
    But I still don't get it how come choice D is better than chioce E.
    Last edited by piggy386; 25-Sep-2005 at 15:25.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Past/Present Participial and Participial Phrases

I still encountered the same problem when I did this kind of question
    What exactly was that question?

piggy386 is offline Junior Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Temico
    What exactly was that question?
    I mean I still have problems when I have to choose among the use of past participal phrase, present participal phrase and relative pronoun.

Perhaps choices A and B are wrong because they use the relative pronoun "that" and "which" to complete the sentence - create a sentence fragment...

But then, how come the correct use of this sentence is not "originating from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and perpetuating" ? I thought both diverse ethnic and geographic isolation are on-going events...shouldn't we use present participal to modify regional dialects?

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

If you used a relative pronoun, you'd have to say 'that/which originated from diverse ethnic and cultural heritages and *were* perpetuated by...'. If you wanted to emphasise the continuity of the second, you'd need to say 'being perpetuated'. However, it sounds better to me the way it is, probably because the cutlural heritage is in a state of flux, but the geographical isolation is now fixed and not so likely to change.

BTW- If a post doesn't get answered, and this easily happens simply because we get so many posts, then open the thread and add a reply with <bump> in it, whis will bring it back to the top of the list. Posts come in at such a rate that posts can get buried very quickly.
    Last edited by Tdol; 26-Sep-2005 at 07:00.