Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi,

What does this word mean in the sentence?

I hate chick-flicks. It's a guy thing.

Thanks a lot

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi,

What does this word mean in the sentence?

I hate chick-flicks. It's a guy thing.

Thanks a lot

"Guy" is an informal word for a man. So "a guy thing" is something that is particular to men (in this case, the fact that many men don't like to watch "chick flicks" - films particularly geared towards women).

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not to stereotype your average guy or anything, but for the most part they dislike romantic movies, or movies about relationships and feelings. They prefer movies that feature many explosions, lots of shooting, and maybe an alien life form or two.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Not to stereotype your average chick or anything, but for the most part they like romantic movies, and movies about relationships and feelings. They prefer such movies to those that feature many explosions, lots of shooting, and maybe an alien life form or two. ;-)

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not to stereotype your average chick or anything, but for the most part they like romantic movies, and movies about relationships and feelings. They prefer such movies to those that feature many explosions, lots of shooting, and maybe an alien life form or two. ;-)

Not to further stereotype your average guy or anything, but most of them are able to reflexively name who was on the pitching mound when the Detroit Tigers won the 1984 World Series, but have to pause and think really hard to remember the date of their own wedding anniversary. ;-)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I still have a question here.

Since a "chick flick" is for women, why the latter part of the sentence mentioned "It's a guy thing"?

Thanks a lot

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Since a "chick flick" is for women, why the latter part of the sentence mentioned "It's a guy thing"?
It is a guy thing to dislike chick flicks. The speaker, a male, gives no reason for disliking such films other than that men generally do dislike them.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Not to destroy the whole stereotype thing but I generally don't like romantic, soppy films all about emotions and am a bit partial to the odd explosion, scariness and aliens.

Oh, I'm a "chick", by the way!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not to destroy the whole stereotype thing but I generally don't like romantic, soppy films all about emotions and am a bit partial to the odd explosion, scariness and aliens.

Oh, I'm a "chick", by the way!

A chick with a Star Wars reference in her screen name? That's certainly rare. ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not to stereotype your average guy or anything, but for the most part they dislike romantic movies, or movies about relationships and feelings. They prefer movies that feature many explosions, lots of shooting, and maybe an alien life form or two.

You forgot "gratuitous nudity."

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And I may be the only person here, chick or guy, who has actually fired a 50-calliber machine gun... so there!

(I like both types of movies, but NOT The Godfather or mafia movies in general. That really IS a guy thing! And what is it about the Three Stooges??)

I want to see Cowboys vs. Aliens. Is there a love stories buried in there?

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I like both types of movies, but NOT The Godfather or mafia movies in general. That really IS a guy thing!
I don't really know whether I like this one or not. The mumbling made me me stop watching mid-second part because I had no idea what was going on.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I am sorry, I am a bit slow-witted. Does the sentence mean this:

I hate chick flicks, it's a guy thing=I hate chick flicks, chick flicks is a guy thing.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I am sorry, I am a bit slow-witted. Does the sentence mean this:

I hate chick flicks, it's a guy thing=I hate chick flicks, chick flicks is a guy thing.
No. It means

I hate chick flicks. Hating chick flicks is a guy thing.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks a lot.

I got this sentence from dictionary.reference.com.

I still want to know that in what situation might this sentence be used?

What does it mean?

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
It's a guy thing means something like it's a male characteristic. The phrase refers to a guy's masculinity. There are some things that men like or don't like just because they are men. It's in their nature. Those can be referred to as a guy thing.

Most men like football: it's a guy thing.
Men feel awkward around doilies and lace: it's a guy thing.

Read again the exchanges made by the different posters in this thread. They were bantering and you may have felt they sort of forgot your question. However, you will see they were dealing with topics usually associated with male and female stereotypes. It may help you understand the spirit of the phrase.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

What does it mean?

The speaker is male. The speaker doesn't like chick flicks (movies about relationships, emotions, etc, that are aimed at women). It's natural for men to dislike such movies.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can't stand them- does that make me a chick? :shock:

In my book it makes you an intelligent, reasonable, normal human being. :-D I, too, cannot understand the appeal of The Three Stooges, but I must admit that a huge cross-section of the males I know - from my husband, who is a member of Mensa, to my Dad, to my brothers, to a very staid boss who rarely cracked a smile - would all light up with recognition to any Curly Howard routine and then start laughing and quoting Stooge-isms. I don't know a single female who spontaneously, in the course of casual conversation, will start making Stooge-type noises and gestures. Must be some mutant guy gene. :?::silly:

Status
Not open for further replies.