Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Source 1. " If the present tense verb ends with the sound of a voiceless consonant sound, (k,p,s,x,ch,gh,sh), the pronunciation in past tense is /t/."

Source 2. “ed” endings are pronounced “t (if the word ends with the sound of a voiceless consonant sound) if the end of the word sounds like:

K, p, S, Ch, Sh, gh, Th

‘k’ walked, ‘p’ stopped, ‘s’ promised, ‘ch’ watched, ‘sh’ finished, laughed

Qustion: 1. Does it mean "bathed' is pronounced a "t" ending sound?

Qustion 2. However, I did not find " th" in source 1.

Can anybody tell me? Thanks.

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
bathe ends with /ð/, which is a voiced consonant; therefore it will be pronounced with a /d/ in the end.

For more info check out this link.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
bathe ends with /ð/, which is a voiced consonant; therefore it will be pronounced with a /d/ in the end.

For more info check out this link.
However, 'bath' ends with /θ/, which is unvoiced. In BrE we normally use this verb when we 'bath the baby', so the final consonant in the past simple is /t/.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
However, 'bath' ends with /θ/, which is unvoiced. In BrE we normally use this verb when we 'bath the baby', so the final consonant in the past simple is /t/.

:up: This gives us two simple pasts:

'I bathed (/beɪðd/) in the sea.'

I bathed (/ba:θt/) the baby.

Thie distinction is in the middle of evolving. My children would avoid saying 'I bathed in the sea' and use some other verb - perhaps 'swam'. My mother, though, would have said 'I bathed (/beɪðd/) the baby'; some speakers still do.

My children avoid this verb, perhaps because they're not sure which to use They would use 'bathed' (/beɪðd/) only in a context like 'I bathed the wound' /aɪ beɪðd ðǝ wu:nd/ (in fact they might well avoid 'bathe' altogether, saying something like 'I cleaned the wound') - except in two derived words: 'bather' and 'bathing' used only in historucal contexts such as 'Victorian doctors often prescribed a period of sea-bathing'.

b

Last edited:

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Source 1. " If the present tense verb ends with the sound of a voiceless consonant sound, (k,p,s,x,ch,gh,sh), the pronunciation in past tense is /t/."

Source 2. “ed” endings are pronounced “t (if the word ends with the sound of a voiceless consonant sound) if the end of the word sounds like:

K, p, S, Ch, Sh, gh, Th

‘k’ walked, ‘p’ stopped, ‘s’ promised, ‘ch’ watched, ‘sh’ finished, laughed

Qustion: 1. Does it mean "bathed' is pronounced a "t" ending sound?

Qustion 2. However, I did not find " th" in source 1.

Can anybody tell me? Thanks.

Well, I guess BobK has already answered your question, hasnt he?:)(how dare he beats me to it.::-( )

thatone

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy

Interesting, I've never seen bath used as a verb. Maybe it's because it's a "Briticism." :)

Winwin2011

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Hong Kong
Current Location
Hong Kong
Interesting, I've never seen bath used as a verb. Maybe it's because it's a "Briticism." :)

Just for learning English

Quoted from Oxford Dictionary "Usage note: bath / bathe / swim / sunbatheWhen you wash yourself you can say that you bath (British English) or bathe (North American English) , but it is much more common to say have a bath (British English) or take a bath (North American English).You can also bath (British English) or bathe (North American English) another person, for example a baby."

Status
Not open for further replies.