[General] Think in english, is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Dear all,

As I am not a native speaker, so when I speak english, I have to think in my mother language and then translate into english, it makes me like a stammerer , I was wondering if it is possible to think in english directly for non-native english speaker to increase the fluency of english speaking. Please advise.

EngFan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear all,

As I am not a native speaker, so when I speak english,
You can keep "As" or "so", but not both.

I have to think in my mother language and then translate into english, it makes me like a stammerer , I was wondering if it is possible to think in english directly for non-native english speaker to increase the fluency of english speaking. Please advise.

EngFan
Yes, it's possible once you get to a certain level, and have had enough practice speaking spontaneously.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Immersion helps - I think it's probably essential. A good start is to wean yourself off dictionaries that just give translations. (Even if you knew such a dictionary word-for-word [impossible] it would at best make you a very hesitant speaker.)

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Dear all,

As I am not a native speaker, so when I speak english, I have to think in my mother language and then translate into english, it makes me like a stammerer , I was wondering if it is possible to think in english directly for non-native english speaker to increase the fluency of english speaking. Please advise.

EngFan

It can be done, but takes a lot more effort and will. However, I see it as putting the cart before the horse. Use your English in real communicative situations with living people, and do this often. The thinking should follow suit quite nicely. Man did not develop language in his head, but in his mouth.

Status
Not open for further replies.