Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Hi!
Professor John.R.Hale said in his audio book " The Art of Public Speaking" that!:
illocution is from "illocutio" the words you choose for a speech and "prelocution" is the way you pronounce those words "tone, pitch, prosody,..)
if you lump them together into one mantra you would say " clothing emotion in words"

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Hi!
Professor John.R.Hale said in his audio book " The Art of Public Speaking" that!:
illocution is from "illocutio" the words you choose for a speech and "prelocution" is the way you pronounce those words "tone, pitch, prosody,..)
if you lump them together into one mantra you would say " clothing emotion in words"

I'd check Fivejedjon's links- the ones you give are not particularly accurate definitions.

cawatawa

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Well!! Pr.John R Hale is an archaelogist and he talked about the etymology of that word and these words are found in Cicero five elements
(dispositio, illocutio, prelocutio,memoria, and(I forgot the last one)).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well!! Pr.John R Hale is an archaelogist and he talked about the etymology of that word and these words are found in Cicero five elements
(dispositio, illocutio, prelocutio,memoria, and(I forgot the last one)).
When we are talking about public speaking, Cicero's elements are often translated as: Invention, Arrangement, Style, Memory, Delivery.

In linguistics, a locutionary act is, put simply, saying something in its normal sense. The performance of this act also involves an illocutionary act, such as advising, promising, threatening, warning, etc. The effect of the illocutionary act on the listener is the perlocutionary act.

Status
Not open for further replies.