Member Type
Other
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
There are several fluorescent tubes. They are different from one another.
It is certain that the quantity of mercury in each fluorescent tube differs.
If we want to check the quantity of mercury contained in each of these fluorescent tubes, is it possible to say:

"We must check the quantity of mercury contained in these fluorescent tubes."?
or
"We must check the quantities of mercury contained in these fluorescent tubes."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. "We must check the quantity of mercury contained in these fluorescent tubes."?
or
2. "We must check the quantities of mercury contained in these fluorescent tubes."?
#1 would suggest you were checking the total quantity in all the tubes.
#2 could suggest that each tube contained more than one quantity (perhaps in different parts of the tube).

I would write: We must check the quantity of mercury contained in each of these fluorescent tubes.

Your earlier sentence , "It is certain that the quantity of mercury in each fluorescent tube differ" has a singular subject 'quantity' with a plural verb 'differ'. My solution would be: It is certain that each fluorescent tube contains a different quantity of mercury.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
"The quantity of mercury is not strained
It droppeth as the gentle rain ..."

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
#1 would suggest you were checking the total quantity in all the tubes.
#2 could suggest that each tube contained more than one quantity (perhaps in different parts of the tube).

I would write: We must check the quantity of mercury contained in each of these fluorescent tubes.

Your earlier sentence , "It is certain that the quantity of mercury in each fluorescent tube differ" has a singular subject 'quantity' with a plural verb 'differ'. My solution would be: It is certain that each fluorescent tube contains a different quantity of mercury.

Yes, but it could also be a recognition that there is some variation from bulb to bulb, which a chemist would find significant (we often measure to four significant digits, such as a thousandth of a gram).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, but it could also be a recognition that there is some variation from bulb to bulb, which a chemist would find significant (we often measure to four significant digits, such as a thousandth of a gram).
Even so, should it not be, "It is certain that the quantity of mercury in each fluorescent tube differs" ?

Status
Not open for further replies.