Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Hi there! This is my 1st post here. I've been looking for some help and discovered this forum. There is a video that I need to transcribe for a project due tomorrow. So far I've been doing OK, but this last video contains a dialogue that is somewhat over my head. If you have time could you please tell me what they're saying starting at 02:48:

videos.bodybuilding.com/watch/64862/ronnie-coleman-the-undiscovered-footage-the-comeback

The shop attendant: Are you taking these back to...?
Ronnie Coleman: Yeah. .......?........
SA: Monday?
RC: Yeah.
SA: There are several different choices right there. We got... Mash (?) is there. This, this was a cutout. This is using a factory grill (?). And this here is a ..?.. And the frame around it (?)
RC: That one all right.
SA: You like that one? I got 4 of those in stock.
RC: Oh yeah?
SA: Yep.
RC: That'll work.
SA: It installs at about 219, 229, something like that.
RC: Uh-huh.
SA: Sign here.
RC: Do what?
SA: Sign here. Sure gift! (?)
RC (laughing)
SA: It's (?) paying.
RC: haha, I guess. ..?.. That'll work.
SA: ....you get the car in. You get that? (?)
RC: OK.
SA: ..?..
RC: I dunno.

So far this is all, but there is some more coming a bit later.

I really appreciate your input. Thanks a lot.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Very difficult to understand because sometimes they mumble, don't speak into the microphone, and also have very strong accents/regional speech patterns.

I can't quite catch what is said up until the word "Monday." After that, here is my transcription:

Salesman: “There’s several different choices right there….there’s mesh, this is cut – this is a cut-out, this is using the factory grille…..and this here is a billet with, uh, a frame around it.”

Coleman: “I like that.”

Salesman: “You like that one? Let’s see….I got four of those in stock.”

Coleman: “Oh yeah? That'll work."

Salesman: “Yep. Installed it’s about $219, $229, something like that…”

(Apparently another person besides the salesman and Ronnie Coleman is present, because another voice says: “My gift.”)

Salesman asks: “Do what?”

Other voice: “It’s my gift.”

Salesman: “Your gift?” (then to Coleman) “He’s paying?”

Coleman (laughing): "I guess….he say he is. That’ll work."

NOTE: Ronnie Coleman is selecting a custom grille for his car.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Very difficult to understand because sometimes they mumble, don't speak into the microphone, and also have very strong accents/regional speech patterns.
I'm relieved you said that. I tried listening to it, and gave up. I put it down to the deafness of old age.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. ;-)

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First I have to say, Ronnie is one of the local boys here so he sounds natural as does the salesman. Ouisch's translation is *close* but is not verbatim. I don't hear an accent :)
Do you need a word-for-word translation or are you satisfied with Ouisch's transcript? There are subtle (not needed) words missing from the transcript.

Not a teacher -- AmE native.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
allenman, I do need this transcript ASAP. I'm completely done with Ronnie's introductory monologue. The thing is that also later on in the video he is talking to those guys (I guess they work in the shop). I am having a hard time getting some of the stuff they are saying. I would really appreciate any input on this. Thank you very much. And thank you everybody else. :up:

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First I have to say, Ronnie is one of the local boys here so he sounds natural as does the salesman. Ouisch's translation is *close* but is not verbatim. I don't hear an accent :)
Do you need a word-for-word translation or are you satisfied with Ouisch's transcript? There are subtle (not needed) words missing from the transcript.

Not a teacher -- AmE native.

Please note that what sounds "natural" to some folks does not at all sound natural to non-native English speakers. Ronnie Coleman is from Louisiana; I'm not sure where JR's Custom Auto is located, but the salesman uses phrases like "fixing to" and "do what?" which are distinctively Southern and not typical of the non-accented, "standard" Mid-Western English used by most TV newscasters and language teaching videos. I only mention this so that non-native speakers understand that the people in this video are not using standard grammar and pronunciation when speaking, which is why it may be difficult for them to understand.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
. I only mention this so that non-native speakers understand that the people in this video are not using standard grammar and pronunciation when speaking, which is why it may be difficult for them to understand.
And, as Ouisch and I noted in earlier posts, some native speakers do not find it easy to understand.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So I took the liberty of starting with Ouisch's original transcript and updating it.
Ronnie is (has been) from Arlington Texas and the shop they are at is in Irving. Ronnie may have been born in Louisiana but he's been here forever. :)

Here is the transcript updated:
RC: Y'all been stayin' busy?
SA: Lil' bit...
RC: lil' bit?...
SA: That takin' it easy is about to end...
Yeah, you're fixin' to get after it
SA: Monday?
SA: Let's seem...umm...Charger...There's several different choices right there.There's the mesh..is there. This was, this was a cutout. This is using a factory grill. And this here is a billet with a... frame around it (?)
RC: That one I like.
SA: You like that one? (yes) I got 4 of those in stock.
RC: Oh yeah?
SA: Yep.
RC: That'll work.
SA: Ok. It installs at about 219, 229, something like that.
RC: Uh-huh.
3rd: My gift
RC: Do what?
3rd: My gift
SA: It's your gift?
RC (laughing)
SA: He's paying?
RC: haha, I guess. ..he say he is.. That'll work.
SA: Nau...We just need to get the car in and get after it
RC: What'd I do with my keys?
SA: Well I don' know..

Status
Not open for further replies.