Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Would you please tell me if I'm wrong?
The sound of letter " c " changes to / s / rather than / k / in the case the letter be followed by " y, i or e "?
What letters can change the sound of " g " to / dʒ / than / g / ?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would you please tell me if I'm wrong?
The sound of letter " c " changes to / s / rather than / k / [STRIKE]in the case [/STRIKE] when the letter [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] is followed by " y, i or e "? Almost always.
What letters can change the sound of " g " to / dʒ / than /g/ ?
When g is preceded by d and followed by e, i, or y, the pronunciation is always /dʒ/.
Apart from this, it is normally pronounced /g/ in all other positions except before e, i, or y. Before those letters, you just have to use a dictionary to find out whether it is /g/ or /dʒ/.

Not also the pronunciation of 'exaggerate' and 'suggest'.

faryan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thank dear Five.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When g is preceded by d and followed by e, i, or y, the pronunciation is always /dʒ/.
Apart from this, it is normally pronounced /g/ in all other positions except before e, i, or y. Before those letters, you just have to use a dictionary to find out whether it is /g/ or /dʒ/.

Not also the pronunciation of 'exaggerate' and 'suggest'.

I can offer a refinement: G and C follow become /d3/ and /s/ in words of French origin after e, i, and y, but in words of Anglo-Saxon origin, e.g. "get," the rule doesn't apply.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I can offer a refinement: G and C follow become /d3/ and /s/ in words of French origin after e, i, and y, but in words of Anglo-Saxon origin, e.g. "get," the rule doesn't apply.
True. The problem for many learners is that they frequently don't know if a word is of French or Anglo-Saxon origin. It's a very helpful tip for learners who speak French - and probably most other Romance languages.

Status
Not open for further replies.