Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    keannu's Avatar
    keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

    Is this "why" an interrogative or a relative adverb? They say it's both interrogative and relative adverb. Is it correct? What is the standard to differentiate the two?
    In which cases, is it interrogative and in which cases, it is relative adverb?

    ex)It is easy to see why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

  2. #2
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Is this "why" an interrogative or a relative adverb? They say it's both interrogative and relative adverb. Is it correct? What is the standard to differentiate the two?
    In which cases, is it interrogative and in which cases, it is relative adverb?

    ex)It is easy to see why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.
    See my answer here: Nobody knows why these whales sing like troubadours

  3. #3
    keannu's Avatar
    keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    So "the reason" is omitted here before why? Is it applicable in any case that is not a direct question?

  4. #4
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    So "the reason" is omitted here before why? Is it applicable in any case that is not a direct question?
    Nobody knows why these whales sing like troubadours
    I wouldn't say "the reason" is omitted. You could say, "Nobody knows the reason [that] these whales sing...."
    "What is the reason whales sing?"; "Why do whales sing?" "the reason" is not omitted from the second sentence - it just isn't there.

    I would not say or write "the reason why", as explained in another recent thread (that discusses "the place where", "the time when", "the manner how" ...)
    I would also not say or write, "What is the reason why whales sing?"

  5. #5
    keannu's Avatar
    keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    Nobody knows why these whales sing like troubadours
    I wouldn't say "the reason" is omitted. You could say, "Nobody knows the reason [that] these whales sing...."
    "What is the reason whales sing?"; "Why do whales sing?" "the reason" is not omitted from the second sentence - it just isn't there.

    I would not say or write "the reason why", as explained in another recent thread (that discusses "the place where", "the time when", "the manner how" ...)
    I would also not say or write, "What is the reason why whales sing?"
    Thanks, but what I need is the standard to tell "relative adverb" from "interrogative", How can we tell the two in so many sentences????

  6. #6
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    19,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    Thanks, but what I need is the standard to tell "relative adverb" from "interrogative", How can we tell the two in so many sentences????
    "Why do whales sing?" - "Why" is an interrogative. "Interrogate" means "ask". Interrogatives are asking words.
    "Do you know why whales sing?" - "Why" is a relative adverb. I can see your point now about omitting "the reason". You want the relative adverb to relate to something. In that case, yes, you can infer "the reason", but you don't need to say it. "Why?" = "What is the reason?"

  7. #7
    keannu's Avatar
    keannu is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    4,308
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    "Why do whales sing?" - "Why" is an interrogative. "Interrogate" means "ask". Interrogatives are asking words.
    "Do you know why whales sing?" - "Why" is a relative adverb. I can see your point now about omitting "the reason". You want the relative adverb to relate to something. In that case, yes, you can infer "the reason", but you don't need to say it. "Why?" = "What is the reason?"
    ex)It is easy to see why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale

    Then, if you transfrom this sentence to "Why do marine scientists spend their lives..?", then is it interrogative in a direct question? And in any indirect questions, it becomes a relative pronoun?
    Some grammar material says if (why,where,when) is connected with questionable verbs such as "ask, know, curious", it becomes interrogative, otherwise relative adverb.
    But your standard seems to depend on direct or indirect questions, that's why I'm confused. Can you understand my point?

  8. #8
    5jj's Avatar
    5jj is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    28,168
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: why marine scientists spend their lives studying the humpback whale.

    As I suggested in the other thread - When these words introduce a direct question, they are interrogative. If they don't,they aren't. 'Interrogative' means 'asking a question/in question-form'. Indirect questions do not directly ask a quastion; they are nor expressed in a question form, and are not interrogative.

    We are in a bit of a circular discussion here. A relative cannot be an interrogative, because it is not interrogative.

Similar Threads

  1. How to pronounce Scientists?
    By idljapanbrazil in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 25-Jan-2010, 11:28
  2. [Idiom] speak whale
    By mmasny in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2010, 23:03
  3. marine
    By sash2008 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-Jun-2009, 20:13
  4. A whale is no more a fish....
    By tzfujimino in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-May-2008, 23:01

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •