Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
If she applys to a grade school, her students loan debts will be increased.

When we use the word ''loan'' should we use the word ''debts''' since ''debt'' means borrowing money.

Thank you for your response.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If she [STRIKE]applys[/STRIKE] applies to a grade (I don't know the American school system but I think maybe this should be grad school) school, her [STRIKE]students[/STRIKE] student [STRIKE]loan[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]debts[/STRIKE] debt will [STRIKE]be[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]increased.[/STRIKE] increase.

When we use the word ''loan'' should we use the word ''debts''' since ''debt'' means borrowing money.

Thank you for your response.

See above for some amendments.

The student loan is the actual money lent to her. What she has is a student debt. So we wouldn't say student loan debt.

Also note that we leave "student" in the singular for this phrase.

"Debt" itself does not mean "borrowing money". You can get into debt by borrowing money but a debt is the amount of money that you owe.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say "student loan debt." And it's definitely grad school, not grade school.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I would say "student loan debt."
I agree. It is the debt that she has incurred as a result of the student loan she took out. 'Student debt' has no real meaning to me.

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
She has debts from her undergraduate days and attending a low school will increase overall her debt load .

So, in that case, I didn't use the ''student loan'', but I think my sentence conveys it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
She has debts from her undergraduate days and attending a low school will increase overall her debt load .

So, in that case, I didn't use the ''student loan'', but I think my sentence conveys it.

What's a "low school"? I thought it was grad school you were talking about.

I understood the meaning of your sentence and yes, it was conveyed without having to be spelled out. I'm clearly outnumbered (happens a lot) but I stick with my personal answer in that I would say "student loan" and "student debt" but not "student loan debt". I guess it's just me!

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I imagine it was supposed to be "law" school.

Genereally, we don't refer to law school or med school as "grad school." There's a distinction we make between graduate degrees and professional degrees. (At least, there is in the world of student loans, where there is a higher degree of certainty that a loan to attend law school or med school will be paid back. With lower risk comes better loan terms.)

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
You are right Barb. I meant law school, just to say that if a person has student debts, he or she must taken out a student loan. You see , in my country we don't have the student loan, those students who pass the governmental exams can study for free. For me it is hard to talk about things that I have never experienced. Sorry, emsr2d2 for my poor dictation, it is because I used Microsoft office too much.

Thank you so much.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In my job before this one, I did all the operational communictaions (essentially the technical writer) for a graduate and professional student loan company. I can actually help you in this if it's important.

Status
Not open for further replies.