Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Ordinary people like me were on one bus, but Islamic fanatics ( we call them Hezbolas, when women have Chador something like Afghan Borghe but you can see the face) were sent to another bus. What do you say in English what I wrote in the ( )?

Are my sentence correct?

Regards.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Something like "Muslim fundamentalists." "Fanatic" implies to me something more than just someone who follows their religious dictates about dress and behavior. A "fanatic" straps a bomb to himself and blows up a bus.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Assuming that SoothingDave's 'fundamentalists' does not offend any wearers of that garment, the whole sentence could now read:

Ordinary people like me were on one bus, but Islamic fundamentalists (we call them 'Hezbollahs', people whose women wear the chador (something like the Afghan burkha, [burka/burqua/?] but you can see the face) were sent to another bus.

In talking about followers of certain religious beliefs, one has to be careful how one uses language. Some people might feel that your use of the word 'ordinary' of yourself, implies that the others were not ordinary. You might consider using 'non-fundamentalists'.

However, that leads to the problem that some people who hold very strong, conservative (small c) religious beliefs are proud to be considered fundamentalists; others consider the word insulting.

I am passing no judgement in what I have written above, merely raising a warning flag. I have my own views, but they have no place in this forum.

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
Sir, in farsi when we say ordinary people, we mean a person who is not a member of Islamic Revolutionary gard, Basije, press group. We don't mean , if sombody wears Chador or any Islamic clothes is Islamic fundamentalists. I'm deeply sorry to say, you are very indeed judgemental. Whitout knowing anything about Iran, you jumped to conclusions. I don't have any peroblem with those people who believe in any religion, but I do have peroblems with those people who abuse any religion to justify themselves. I think few weeks ago a man shot at young people in Norway, and it was said he was a fanatic Christian.

You have any believe, it is fine. As people say '' action is louder than words''. However, In Iran, many women were raped in the name of Islam in Evin jail. One of my friends was hanged, even though she was a pregnan woman in 1988. Up to now, parents don't know where is the body of their beloved in the cemetry Khavaran . If you have a short memory , I remind you about Darfur. Perhaps, it can refresh you memory.

I thought, people have the freedom to express their opinion in the Internet. Sorry, I can't write about ''Milk '' . If my comments make you unhappy, just don't read it, the same way we do, when we don't like a TV program, we turn off TV, but we don't break it down.

Finaly, I'm a Moslem if I don't have a right to talk about my country and my reliogion, then there is no reason to join in a group , where people can't tolerate to hear opinion of other people. Sir, remember there are milliards fish in the ocean.

Regards.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
arzgol, I did my best to phrase my language so that I should not give offence. The fact that I appear to have offended you reinforces my point that one needs to be very careful in these areas.
I'm deeply sorry to say, you are very indeed judgemental. Whitout knowing anything about Iran, you jumped to conclusions.
I tried not to be judgemental, and I did not jump to any conclusions.
If you have a short memory , I remind you about Darfur. Perhaps, it can refresh you memory.
I made no judgements about, or comments on, any people or religion.
If my comments make you unhappy, just don't read it, the same way we do, when we don't like a TV program, we turn off TV, but we don't break it down.
Your comments did not make me unhappy. I was merely trying to raise awareness about a potential language problem.
Finaly, I'm a Moslem if I don't have a right to talk about my country and my reliogion, then there is no reason to join in a group , where people can't tolerate to hear opinion of other people.
I did not in any way suggest that you have no rights to talk about your country, though I will now say that this forum is for the discussion of language, not religion, politics or nationalities.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Regardless of any perceived offence, fivejedjon gave a very good answer to your original question which was how to phrase the part you had put in brackets. He wrote:

Ordinary people like me were on one bus, but Islamic fundamentalists (we call them 'Hezbollahs', people whose women wear the chador (something like the Afghan burkha, [burka/burqua/?] but you can see the face) were sent to another bus.

The relevant part is in bold and is a very good way of stating what you had attempted to say.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
May I add that, when I read fivejedjon's first reply, I'd given it a 'like' because I felt it was very careful indeed and aimed at not giving offence. He really gave no personal opinions, he even explained he was not passing judgement, and he tried to give you the English words you were seeking.

Perhaps, if you read it again, arzgol, you will find that you misunderstood the spirit in which it was written. Such things happen. ;-)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sir, in farsi when we say ordinary people, we mean a person who is not a member of Islamic Revolutionary gard, Basije, press group.

In English, when you contrast the idea of "ordinary people" with some other group, you are implying that the other group is not ordinary.

This is potentially offensive. That's why the teacher very gently warned you.

This is a site for learning English.

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ordinary people like me were on one bus, but Islamic fanatics ( we call them Hezbolas, when women have Chador something like Afghan Borghe but you can see the face) were sent to another bus. What do you say in English what I wrote in the ( )?

Are my sentence correct?

Regards.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Maybe something like:

Muslims like me were on one bus; on the other were fundamentalists,

whom we call Hezbollahs, whose women wear the chador (similar to the

Afghan burka except that the face is visible).

Pokemon

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Most enjoyable thread. Reminded me of a line from 'Jeeves and Wooster' series.
Jeeves: Good afternoon, madam.
Woman: Don't you "good afternoon" me, I'm a respectable woman.

:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.