Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Hello,

I am new to this forum so I am not sure that here is correct place to ask my question. Excuse me please If I am mistaken that opening incorrect place.

I think my current English level is intermediate. You maybe assess my level via this post.
Anyway, I will be taking English language course in New York City in US. It will take 6 months and its is title "English for Academic purpose". I will take 28 lessons a week. I do not want to sound name of the company in order not to advertise.

I feel really motivated for this challenge. I am ensure I will study hard. According as all I mentoined, do you think whether I can have been progress my English beyond Advanced level and become more confident when using it? I know it really depends on me and course, I just desire an opinion from you after all.

An additional question, can you assess my level via this written thread?

Thank you very much in advance and Best regards.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
cicikuş;790542 said:
Hello,

I am new to this forum so I am not sure that here is the correct place to ask my question. Excuse me please If I am mistaken [STRIKE]that opening incorrect place[/STRIKE].

I think my current English level is intermediate. You maybe assess my level via this post.
Anyway, I will be taking an English language course in New York City in US. It will take 6 months and its [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] title is "English for Academic purpose". I will take 28 lessons a week. I do not want to [STRIKE]sound [/STRIKE] give the name of the company in order not to advertise.
28 lessons a week! You mean four lessons a day every day of the week for 6 months? That sounds very intensive. You couldn't fail to benefit, but you'd have to be very motivated.

I feel really motivated for this challenge. I am [STRIKE]en[/STRIKE]sure I will study hard. According [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] to all I mentoined, do you think whether I can [STRIKE]have been[/STRIKE] progress my English beyond Advanced level and become more confident when using it?
I'm not sure what you mean by "beyond Advanced level". You will certainly become much more confident if you complete the course.

I know it really depends on me and the course, I just desire an opinion from you after all.

An additional question, can you assess my level via this written thread?

Thank you very much in advance and Best regards.
First, it's difficult to assess your level just from this short passage. You've made quite a few basic errors. I would advise you to send examples of your writing to the school in New York, and ask whether you are at the right level to benefit from their specific course. If they expect you to get all your articles and prepositions correct, for example, you might be left behind, and you'll be overwhelmed with material that's beyond you.
Secondly, how is your spoken English? And what level do they require for this advanced course?
On the other hand, it sounds like a great opportunity if it's at the right level for you. Only the school could tell you that (but beware that they might accept anyone with upfront cash)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
A motivated student can make a lot of progress on an intensive course for that long, especially in a English-speaking country.

cicikuş

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
First, it's difficult to assess your level just from this short passage. You've made quite a few basic errors. I would advise you to send examples of your writing to the school in New York, and ask whether you are at the right level to benefit from their specific course. If they expect you to get all your articles and prepositions correct, for example, you might be left behind, and you'll be overwhelmed with material that's beyond you.
Secondly, how is your spoken English? And what level do they require for this advanced course?
On the other hand, it sounds like a great opportunity if it's at the right level for you. Only the school could tell you that (but beware that they might accept anyone with upfront cash)

Did you simply mean I am not even at intermediate level? :-:)-?:cry:

My spoken English is quick but not accurate. This course requires intermediate level at least.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
cicikuş;790949 said:
No, I didn't say that. I said, "it's difficult to assess your level just from this short passage."
Besides, if you have a scale of 1 to 10, you might have 1 - 3 basic; 4 - 7 Intermediate; 8 - 10 Advanced. So being at Intermediate level means you could be any where from level 4 to level 7. That's a wide range.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
cicikuş;790949 said:

My spoken English is quick but not accurate. This course requires intermediate level at least.

If your writing is anything to go by, you should be able to handle a course like that. Intermediate level is, as Raymott says, a broad term, but your writing shows features that mean you should be comfortably in the intermediate category. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.