Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the cited collocations of approach in the following sentences?

If you constantly nag your partner and heap reproaches on him, don't be surprised if he turns on you and does the same thing back.

The boy should be reproached for his rudeness.

Many people lived in reproach and ignominy.

Death will free you from all reproach and ignominy on your names.

In 1869 there was also a reciprocal reproach.

A number of bond men have been squirming this week under the reproaches of their particular friends who are aggrieved over their failure to get the full amount of City of Paris bonds for which they applied.

Was Parsifal really a knight without fear and reproach?

His conscience reproached him, Satan harassed him with temptations, and he was at his wits' end.

It followed that his conduct was above reproach and his country a paragon of order and enlightenment.

I have nothing for which to reproach myself; I have lived like a man and want to die like one.

The slums of Sidney are a reproach to the city.

V.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the cited collocations of [STRIKE]ap[/STRIKE]reproach in the following sentences?

If you constantly nag your partner and heap reproaches on him, don't be surprised if he turns on you and does the same thing back. :tick:
The boy should be reproached for his rudeness.:tick:
Many people lived in reproach and ignominy. I don't see how one can 'live in reproach'.
Death will free you from all reproach and ignominy on your names. I suppose it's possible.
In 1869 there was also a reciprocal reproach. I suppose it's possible in the right context.
A number of bond men have been squirming this week under the reproaches of their particular friends who are aggrieved over their failure to get the full amount of City of Paris bonds for which they applied. :tick:
Was Parsifal really a knight without fear and reproach? Someone's behaviour may be above/beyond reproach, but 'without fear and reproach' sounds very strange to me.
His conscience reproached him, Satan harassed him with temptations, and he was at his wits' end. :tick:
It followed that his conduct was above reproach and his country a paragon of order and enlightenment. :tick:
I have nothing for which to reproach myself; I have lived like a man and want to die like one. :tick:
The slums of Sidney are a reproach to the city. :tick:.

Status
Not open for further replies.