Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello There,

I just need to compose compound adjectives i.e., through attachment of verb + noun. Here's a sample I scrambled upon once I watched Simpson's TV series: a bath-taking, underpants-wearing lily hugger!

Now the question is how to build such structure scrupulously. Given I need to put into words a situation in which you may cut corners. What should I say: a money-saving situation, a saving-money situation or a money-saver situation?!

Since I'm going to take IELTS exam so this sort of wording is essentially prominent to my writing task. I would appreciate it if you would clarify it as grammatical as possible.

Any suggestion is welcome,
Shahin

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I am a grammar-loving, nit-picking, troll-loathing, much-admired (?) sandals-wearer. I can produce a list as long as you like, and so can the Simpsons, but I do not recommend that you try it. One such adjective at a time is quite sufficient, and even then, new creations can sound unnatural. The Simpsons list was intended to be humorous.

However, if you feel you must do it, here are a few pointers:

a noun-verbing (adjective) person is a person who verbs the noun - I love grammar, the Simpson takes baths and wears underpants.
an adverb-verbed (adjective) person is one who is verbed by others - I am much admired by other people.
A noun-verber (noun) is someone who verbs the noun - I wear sandals, the Simpson hugs lilies.

I really do not think it is a good idea to start experimenting with this in an IELTS examination.

shahin_67

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello Fivejedjon,

Thanks for your quick reply. Your tips really appeal to me.

As for IELTS, I believe they're pertinent since I take glances over the related essays I occasionally, encounter these kinds of adjectives. Anyway, It will do to use a few of them in your essays to prove yourself to the jury!

Sincerely,
Shahin

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Anyway, It will do to use a few of them in your essays to prove yourself to the jury!
I have to agree with 5jj. One such compound adjective in an essay of that length is more than enough to show you understand the concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.