Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
I'm originally from north england, but have lived in the south as well ( around Bristol) and NOW, am living in the US.

I always thought you kept the accent you have but I seem to be a weird mix and I have people all the time asking where in the world I'm from :oops:

what does it sound like ? :-| maybe I'm afraid to know! ;)

Clip1.mp3 - 0.79MB

thank you

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sorry; I'd like to help, but that link rquires me to download a plug-in. I am neurotic about downloading anything. Others have managed to provide links which I can listen to immediately, which is what I prefer.

britintheUS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
I know, I really wish I could do it another way. Is there any other that you think would work? I tried just attaching the file but my file size was too large.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I know, I really wish I could do it another way. Is there any other that you think would work? I tried just attaching the file but my file size was too large.
I can't help, I am afraid. It takes me five minutes every day just to switch my computer on.

britintheUS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
thanks anyway :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
How about Youtube?

bagzi94

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I am not very good at this as I have been out of the UK for many years, but this is what I thought.

I can hear various different things. There's some Northern English in there I think- the way you say erm once suggests this might include Liverpool or somewhere near there, and the way you say me accent suggest wider afield in the North, though apart from a few years there a long time ago, I am not too familiar with Northern English. There's some London/South/Estuary in there- the dropped letters- university with a glottal. There's some American (data), some RP and some -ing endings you pronounce as -in, which I cannot place (computin') as I can only think of huntin' shootin' and fishin' for that.

I'll wait to see what others who know better say and then see your answer. ;-)

Last edited:

bagzi94

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
I'd say you have got a regular British accent with a little bit of American.
And your voice is wonderful!

britintheUS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
I am not very good at this as I have been out of the UK for many years, but this is what I thought.

I can hear various different things. There's some Northern English in there I think- the way you say erm once suggests this might include Liverpool or somewhere near there, and the way you say me accent suggest wider afield in the North, though apart from a few years there a long time ago, I am not too familiar with Northern English. There's some London/South/Estuary in there- the dropped letters- university with a glottal. There's some American (data), some RP and some -ing endings you pronounce as -in, which I cannot place (computin') as I can only think of huntin' shootin' and fishin' for that.

I'll wait to see what others who know better say and then see your answer. ;-)

I had lived in Newcastle when I was REEEALLY young so maybe that's where the "in" endings for "ing's" came in. When I listen to it back, it sounds really posh in places, so maybe that was what you were referring to when you mentioned the London/ Estuary bit in there. Thank you both for your comments. It helps me to kind of decipher what I sound like :lol:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
The posh bit is what I called RP. The London/Estuary bit, which is much wider spread and not so regional is dropping the letter T- you say universi'y- it is associated with London, but much more common nowadays. Where does the 'erm' come from? ;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'd say you have got a regular British accent with a little bit of American.
And your voice is wonderful!

It's fairly normal to pick up bits of different regional pronunciation- I have done the same as I have lived in various parts of the UK- I speak RP, with some Midlands and London elements.

LordJenkins

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
UK
To me, I hear a scouser mixed with new castle type accent. Your accent is defiently not posh sounding, (hope this doesnt offend you lol). :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I heard Scouse there too. Some sounds are RP, though IMO.

britintheUS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
To me, I hear a scouser mixed with new castle type accent. Your accent is defiently not posh sounding, (hope this doesnt offend you lol). :)

no no, that doesn't offend me at all! no problem, thanks for your opinion.

Scouse? really? hmm...

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
So what's the answer? ;-)

bagzi94

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
It's fairly normal to pick up bits of different regional pronunciation- I have done the same as I have lived in various parts of the UK- I speak RP, with some Midlands and London elements.

Why did you quote my post? I didn't say it's abnormal. :)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Why did you quote my post? I didn't say it's abnormal. :)

I didn't say you did, but quoting can make it easy to follow who's talking to whom. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.