Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: What is today?

  1. #1
    Heidi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post What is today?

    Dear teachers,

    If someone asks me 'what is today?', is he asking 'what DAY is it' or 'what DATE is it'?

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Dear teachers,

    If someone asks me 'what is today?', is he asking 'what DAY is it' or 'what DATE is it'?

    Thank you!
    It's a very rare question. Most people would either say "What day is it today?" or "What date is it today?" or "What's the date today?"

  3. #3
    Rover_KE is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Retired English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    14,505
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is today?

    Heidi, if you are asked 'What's today?' say 'Friday'.

    If the questioner meant 'What's the date?' he'll say 'I meant what's the date?'

    Rover
    Last edited by Rover_KE; 26-Aug-2011 at 17:20.

  4. #4
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is today?

    Sarcastic soul that I am, if someone asked me "What is today?" I would probably say "It's the day after yesterday and the day before tomorrow". I'm helpful like that!

  5. #5
    Heidi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Question Re: What is today?

    Thank you, Rover and emsr2d2.

    Sorry, I don't think I've asked my question properly. It seems that I've seperated a question from its original meaning (?) It comes from the what-is-today.mp3 below.
    - "What is today?" "That's right, it's the beginning of June."

    But even Tom gives the answer to his own question 'what is today' - it's the beginning of June, I'd still like to ask, if the answer to a question is 'it's the beginning of June', is 'what is today' a good corresponding question? What else can we ask to get the respond 'it's the beginning of June'?

    Thank you!

    Attached Files Attached Files

  6. #6
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    Thank you, Rover and emsr2d2.

    Sorry, I don't think I've asked my question properly. It seems that I've seperated a question from its original meaning (?) It comes from the what-is-today.mp3 below.
    - "What is today?" "That's right, it's the beginning of June."

    But even Tom gives the answer to his own question 'what is today' - it's the beginning of June, I'd still like to ask, if the answer to a question is 'it's the beginning of June', is 'what is today' a good corresponding question? What else can we ask to get the respond 'it's the beginning of June'?

    Thank you!
    I really can't think of a direct question which would definitely elicit "It's the beginning of June" as a response.

    Where are we in the year? (I don't like this but it's the best I can do!)
    What time of year is it? (Although this is more likely to elicit "It's spring/summer/autumn/winter.)

  7. #7
    Heidi is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Taiwan
      • Current Location:
      • Taiwan
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Post Re: What is today?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I really can't think of a direct question which would definitely elicit "It's the beginning of June" as a response.

    Where are we in the year? (I don't like this but it's the best I can do!)
    What time of year is it? (Although this is more likely to elicit "It's spring/summer/autumn/winter.)
    What do you think Tom is trying to say?
    "What is today?"
    "It's the beginning of June."


    Thank you!

  8. #8
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    23,275
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: What is today?

    Quote Originally Posted by Heidi View Post
    What do you think Tom is trying to say?
    "What is today?"
    "It's the beginning of June."


    Thank you!
    I'm assuming that Tom is the one who says "It's the beginning of June". If that's the case, then he has not given a particularly sensible answer to the question "What is today?" I don't think he was trying to say anything other than what he actually said. I imagine it probably was somewhere between June 1st and maybe June 7th (the beginning of June) but I don't know why he would have given that specific answer.

Similar Threads

  1. Today
    By Hanka in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16-Jun-2006, 04:12
  2. Today
    By kalli in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-Apr-2006, 11:57
  3. Today
    By domna in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-Apr-2006, 12:14
  4. i do not know what this mean i need it for today please
    By laureless in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19-Jun-2005, 06:34
  5. what is the meaning of "today is today."
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 23-Mar-2005, 21:49

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •