• Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: th sound question

Quote Originally Posted by grace_c View Post
    Hi! I've read something useful regarding the pronunciation of the voiced and unvoiced TH from the Barron's American Accent training book.

The voiced TH is like a D between the teeth. When you pronounce the D in DOUGH, the tongue is in the back of the teeth. But when you pronounce TH in THOUGH, it is like the D sound but a bit lower, forward and between the teeth.

The unvoiced TH is like an S between the teeth. When you pronounce the S in SING, you hiss behind of the teeth. But when you pronounce TH in THING, it is like the S sound extended through the teeth.

For both cases, one should dart out the tongue and snap it back very quickly.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks! I'm pretty sure I know how to do the voiced th properly now. For voiced th, it would be like a "d" and there should be a small plosive as in "a date". The "date" starts off a little "plosive".

The unvoiced th, I'm still wondering.

Like for "three" as in "he has three kids". When you say "three", is there no plosive at all? So the tongue should never really touch the top teeth if it's suppose to be a smooth sound.

In "though" as in "going through the process". Is "going through" totally smooth? Or is there a small stop like in "a date" (the "date" is a small plosive in the "d" sound)

To not have any plosive sounds in unvoiced th pretty much means the tongue cannot touch the teeth, it can only be close to the teeth, thus restricting airflow to produce the "th" sound?

If you say unvoiced is similar to "s", then there shouldn't be any plosive at all since "s" is totally continuously and thus, the tongue should never touch the teeth because if it did, there would be a small plosive sound.

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Other
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

• Post Thanks / Like

Glad to be of help. In order to make the unvoiced TH sound, try sticking out your tongue (as far as you can) and make the S sound; then, snap the tongue back inside quickly. Try doing this without letting the tongue touch the upper teeth. If you didn't have any problem with this, try saying THIEVE and SIEVE and see if you notice a difference. Good luck!

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by grace_c View Post
    Glad to be of help. In order to make the unvoiced TH sound, try sticking out your tongue (as far as you can) and make the S sound; then, snap the tongue back inside quickly. Try doing this without letting the tongue touch the upper teeth. If you didn't have any problem with this, try saying THIEVE and SIEVE and see if you notice a difference. Good luck!
    So thieve should be as smooth as sieve? Voiced and unvoiced "th" are different then? Voiced has small plosive quality and unvoiced is totally smooth?

• Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • United States

• Post Thanks / Like

I'm not the best with Phonetics, therefore I couldn't really tell you if there was a problem with your "th" sounds.

However, I DO think that you speak VERY good English. Being from China, you sound so clear and I can understand you very well. In my opinion, I didn't hear anything pronounced wrong. You are quite soft-spoken so I might not have been able to hear every sound.

I'd say good job!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2