Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Ju is offline Senior Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    remaining family members ?

    After one members passed away in the family, what do we call the remaining family members ?

    Ju

  2. #2
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    'Bereaved', which is an adjective. 'The bereaved' can sometimes be used as a noun. I think in legal contexts the word 'relict' is sometimes used - but I've never heard or seen it, except in matters of wills ('testaments' - written records of what people want to be done with their possessions when they die)

    b
    Last edited by BobK; 30-Aug-2011 at 12:36. Reason: Fix typo

  3. #3
    SoothingDave is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    10,343
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    An obituary will say that "he is survived by..." and then list the wives and children, etc.

  4. #4
    tedtmc is offline Key Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Interested in Language
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Malaysia
      • Current Location:
      • Malaysia
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,130
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    An obituary will say that "he is survived by..." and then list the wives and children, etc.
    Also, xxxx passed away leaving behind xxxx, xxxx, ...

    I though 'the bereaved' is not confined to family members but also friends and relatives.

    not a teacher

  5. #5
    Raymott's Avatar
    Raymott is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Academic
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    20,225
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    Quote Originally Posted by tedtmc View Post
    Also, xxxx passed away leaving behind xxxx, xxxx, ...

    I though 'the bereaved' is not confined to family members but also friends and relatives.

    not a teacher
    And the family are not always bereaved, but it's conventional and polite to assume they are.

  6. #6
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    And the family are not always bereaved, but it's conventional and polite to assume they are.
    I didn't think it was just a fancy word for 'upset'. Recently, though, I've noticed people using it that way.

    Online Etymology Dictionary doesn't require family ties - though the words 'loved one' in the definition of the OE root might encourage its use in that sense.

    I think it was originally applied to families; then it was applied figuratively to other contacst who reacted as though they had had a family member die - which devalued the word and invited a new meaning in ('upset') because Nature Abhors a Vacuum

    b

  7. #7
    birdeen's call is offline VIP Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • Student or Learner
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    5,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I didn't think it was just a fancy word for 'upset'. Recently, though, I've noticed people using it that way.

    Online Etymology Dictionary doesn't require family ties - though the words 'loved one' in the definition of the OE root might encourage its use in that sense.

    I think it was originally applied to families; then it was applied figuratively to other contacst who reacted as though they had had a family member die - which devalued the word and invited a new meaning in ('upset') because Nature Abhors a Vacuum
    Would you say then that the family of a deceased person must be bereaved by definition? The meaning of the word is deprived. I think we can only be deprived of good or necessary things like love or food. We wouldn't call a person who has been successfully treated for cancer "deprived of cancer". Would you say that a particularly hated family member who dies still leaves the rest bereaved? Must they consider themselves bereaved?

  8. #8
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    I would think that was it - though my 'preferred usage' doesn't seem to be widely shared. Except in John Donne's sense ('No man is an island...' etc) I wouldn't be bereaved by the death of any Tom Dick or Harry. Using your word 'deprived', their life has to be something that's of value to me in a personal way..

    b

  9. #9
    emsr2d2's Avatar
    emsr2d2 is offline Moderator
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    24,950
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    If I saw someone who had recently lost a close family member out and about having fun, just a few days after the death, I would be hard pushed to describe them as bereaved. In fact, I would be inclined to use the sarcastic method of making quotation marks with my hands while saying to someone "Look, isn't that Jane? Hah! So much for being (begin finger gesture) "bereaved"!"

  10. #10
    BobK's Avatar
    BobK is offline Harmless drudge
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    15,835
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: remaining family members ?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If I saw someone who had recently lost a close family member out and about having fun, just a few days after the death, I would be hard pushed to describe them as bereaved. In fact, I would be inclined to use the sarcastic method of making quotation marks with my hands while saying to someone "Look, isn't that Jane? Hah! So much for being (begin finger gesture) "bereaved"!"
    Exactly - I think we're in violent agreement She's not behaving as family members should in such circumstances, and the word 'bereaved' underlines that.

    b

Similar Threads

  1. TOEFL:Pet should be treated like family members
    By linh202 in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Jul-2011, 12:01
  2. family is perfectionists or family are perfectionist
    By Unregistered in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 28-Apr-2010, 01:48
  3. article+ members of the family
    By astaf in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 19-Mar-2010, 19:24
  4. [Essay] My family members' description
    By loupevivante@hotmail.com in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 13-Sep-2008, 13:39
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Aug-2007, 16:14

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •