Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi

Would you please explain "approximative system" to me?
Thanks in advance

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As I understand it, this covers the learner's knowledge- they start with L1 and are given rules for L2, but they don't just jump straight to a perfect understanding, so they develop their own system, which changes over time as they increase in their understanding of the target language. This grammar, phonology, etc, they build up, which will be heavily influenced by L1 at first but will develop and change as their understanding increases, is the approximative system. As the person learns, it becomes closer step by step towards the target language.

Ever Student

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
As I understand it, this covers the learner's knowledge- they start with L1 and are given rules for L2, but they don't just jump straight to a perfect understanding, so they develop their own system, which changes over time as they increase in their understanding of the target language. This grammar, phonology, etc, they build up, which will be heavily influenced by L1 at first but will develop and change as their understanding increases, is the approximative system. As the person learns, it becomes closer step by step towards the target language.
Hello Tdol,

Many thanks for your comprehensive answer. I have learned it a lot.

Best regards
ES

Status
Not open for further replies.