Post Thanks / Like

Default 13 sentences to fix

Please correct the following 13 sentences. They are all rather bookish because it's a translation I have to make as homework. Any comments appreciated. Thanks in advance
    • The contents of the letter were quite unexpected and John decided to find out if it was possible to export (the production) to the capital.
    • His salary is very high but his needs are great.
    • In this article you will find the latest information about how the income per capita and also the imports and exports of Italy have changed in the past months.
    • The economics of labor studies the problems of labor markets, analyzes data about operations of companies, their stuff, and the society as a whole.
    • The producer says that you have to get an import license for this commodity. - I do not think it is good news for consumers.
    • Students working after classes or during the holidays earn money so as to spend it on their personal needs later. What is more, in many countries, even in the well-to-do, parents are for their children going their own way.
    • This perishable article has yet not been delivered to the consumer.
    • Economic crises are one of the occurrences which are studied by economists and are constantly highlighted by the mass media.
    • Statistics affirms that the number of families with two children has reduced lately. A number of families do not have children for money reasons at all.
    • It is well-known that former students need advice and help when job-hunting.
    • Are you giving away all these items of clothes? – No, most of them look very good.
    • I bought this watch in Bern. It is very good but expensive. Was the expense worth it? Is it liable for duty?
    • On the whole, this news is very interesting. Have you found out who this money belongs to? Bureaucratic obstacles left me little chance.

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 13 sentences to fix

• The contents of the letter were quite unexpected and John decided to find out if it was possible to export (the production) to the capital.

Do you mean 'move/shift', as in relocate?

• In this article you will find the latest information about how the income per capita and also the imports and exports of Italy have changed in the past months.
    I'd try to condense it a bit- about how Italian imports and exports and income per capita and have changed..

• The economics of labor studies the problems of labor markets, analyzes data about operations of companies, their stuff, and the society as a whole.
    stuff? This should be changed- what do you want to say?

• Students working after classes or during the holidays earn money so as to spend it on their personal needs later. What is more, in many countries, even in the well-to-do, parents are for their children going their own way.
    I'd say 'among the well-to-do'

• Statistics affirms that the number of families with two children has reduced lately. A number of families do not have children for money reasons at all.
    here, it is individual stats, not the are, I think, so I'd say 'affirm'

PS I'd *do* a translation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 13 sentences to fix

Do you mean 'move/shift', as in relocate

Yes, I mean that Jonh wanted to know if it was possible to move the production to the capital (capital of a certain country)

I'd try to condense it a bit- about how Italian imports and exports and income per capita and have changed..

Are you sure you want to use 'and' after 'income per capita'?

stuff? This should be changed- what do you want to say?

That was a typo. I meant staff/personnel. Is it ok if I use one of these words?

do a translation

Why would you *do* a translation? I've always thought 'make a translation' is entirely correct. The Oxford Collocations Dictionary says that you can use both 'do' and 'make'. It also gives a couple of examples. Here they are:
    -I've got this translation to do for Friday.
    -She tried making her own translation of the sign without consulting a dictionary.

What do you think?