Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've ended up with a Glasgow accent which I want rid of. English is my language, but this accent isn't. I thought moving away from there would naturally solve the problem. But it hasn't. I was shocked to hear a recording of my speech.

There are lovely Scottish accents, but this one isn't. I hope to find a way to clean it up and sound completely neutral. What affordable methods are there?

PS: Am I getting the image verification because I'm new, or do you always get it?

Wicked Pissah

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
come to Boston...I'll set you up with a Boston accent.....people will love you forever after.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've ended up with a Glasgow accent which I want rid of. English is my language, but this accent isn't. I thought moving away from there would naturally solve the problem. But it hasn't. I was shocked to hear a recording of my speech.

There are lovely Scottish accents, but this one isn't. I hope to find a way to clean it up and sound completely neutral. What affordable methods are there?

PS: Am I getting the image verification because I'm new, or do you always get it?

Where do you now live?

bagzi94

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Watch some British TV shows. :)

GreyMan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
come to Boston...I'll set you up with a Boston accent.....people will love you forever after.

I'd love to! We're actually working on crossing the Atlantic some day, sooner rather than later. :-D
We're currently in mainland Europe.

We constantly watch English and American series/films. That's why I was confident the unwelcome accent was gone. But that recording taught me different. :-(

I've heard of actors taking specific classes for that purpose. Of course they have a different kind of spending power. But since you can buy packaged language courses, i was hoping there were "accent courses" too.

raindoctor

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Swahili
Home Country
Kenya
Current Location
United States
1. Go to any phonetics department in your local universities and find an expert ear, who can discriminate minute differences between your vowels and the target vowels.

2. See an accent reduction coach, who is not into training actors. Accent/dialects coaches who train actors charge at least twice what you pay for a normal accent reduction coach. The going rate here in the states: $60 per hour. Hollywood rates start at $100 per hour. Maybe, 5 to 6 classes would help: gaining awareness of your vocal tract and producing the target vowels is all what you need to shoot for.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina

GreyMan

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is that possible?

I'm sure it is. I've heard it happen. Not to mention, I used to be fairly neutral anyway. That's why I'm surprised it's hard to go back to it.

raindoctor thanks for your input. I'll start doing some research based on your suggestions. We're not in an English-speaking place right now. But everything starts with research. And we're not here to stay. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.