Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"A new rootkit is being used to infect 64-bit systems as part of a scheme to steal online banking credentials from users in Brazil."

What does "banking credentials" mean in this sentence? Would the speaker be refering to the account number, credit car number and the pincode?

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"A new rootkit is being used to infect 64-bit systems as part of a scheme to steal online banking credentials from users in Brazil."

What does "banking credentials" mean in this sentence? Would the speaker be refering to the account number, credit car number and the pincode?

Confidential data/information would have been a better word.

not a teacher

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Confidential data/information would have been a better word.

not a teacher

I appreciate your advice. I was asking what it meant in the context?

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
I appreciate your advice. I was asking what it meant in the context?

I think it is a wrong choice of word, probably from the confusion between confidential and credential. Credential means the qualification or achievement of a person.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think it is a wrong choice of word, probably from the confusion between confidential and credential. Credential means the qualification or achievement of a person.
Not necessarily. It can also be a document that shows the qualities of a person " a teaching credential."

How about this "Within the last several months, the FBI has seen a significant increase in fraud involving the exploitation of valid online banking credentials belonging to small and medium sized businesses."?

tedtmc

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Not necessarily. It can also be a document that shows the qualities of a person " a teaching credential."

How about this "Within the last several months, the FBI has seen a significant increase in fraud involving the exploitation of valid online banking credentials belonging to small and medium sized businesses."?

Yes, you are right about qualities. Credit card number and password are also called credentials apparently :)

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Yes, you are right about qualities. Credit card number and password are also called credentials apparently :)
Let's see what other people are going to say about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.