Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The use of comma(,), is it to denote result or purpose? Both seems to work, but there seems to be a special reason in using it.

ex)Newer homes especially can benefit from air-cleaning plants; that's because new construction is better insulated and and selaed, to conserve air conditioning and heating.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
The use of comma(,) [STRIKE],[/STRIKE] is it to denote result or purpose?
You don't put a comma between the subject and the verb.
Both seems to work, but there seems to be a special reason in using it.

ex)Newer homes especially can benefit from air-cleaning plants; that's because new construction is better insulated [STRIKE]and [/STRIKE]and sealed, to conserve air conditioning and heating.
Yes, there does. I'd suggest that a comma is used here to make sure the sentence means that both the insulation and the sealing contribute to the conservation of air-conditioning and heating., ie. the meaning is:
" ... better [insulated and sealed] to [conserve air conditioning and heating.]" rather than:
" ... [better insulated] and [sealed to conserve air conditioning and heating.]", which could be the case if the comma wasn't there.

I'm not sure what you mean by result and purpose.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes, there does. I'd suggest that a comma is used here to make sure the sentence means that both the insulation and the sealing contribute to the conservation of air-conditioning and heating., ie. the meaning is:
" ... better [insulated and sealed] to [conserve air conditioning and heating.]" rather than:
" ... [better insulated] and [sealed to conserve air conditioning and heating.]", which could be the case if the comma wasn't there.

I'm not sure what you mean by result and purpose.

By result, I mean , it was better insulated and sealed and as a result, it conserved air conditionig and heating.
By purpose, I mean , it was better insulated and sealed in order to conserve air conditionig and heating.
By cause, I mean , it was better insulated and sealed because it conserved air conditionig and heating.

Which of the three is the comma for?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
By result, I mean , it was better insulated and sealed and as a result, it conserved air conditionig and heating.
By purpose, I mean , it was better insulated and sealed in order to conserve air conditionig and heating.
By cause, I mean , it was better insulated and sealed because it conserved air conditionig and heating.

Which of the three is the comma for?
The comma's for none of those reasons. It's for reason I mentioned, I believe.
The sentence means "in order to", but the comma doesn't change that meaning.

keannu

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
The comma's for none of those reasons. It's for reason I mentioned, I believe.
The sentence means "in order to", but the comma doesn't change that meaning.
I'm sorry, now I realize the comma was to prevent confusion, in order to describe the previous two things, not one. I'm sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.