Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear all.

I read a letter and saw two sentences which have seemed to be strange. I havn't been able to understand two sentences which are quoted from the letter below. The first one is "The all-inclusive price we paid included breakfast and dinner and two excursions.", and the second is "I find it dishonest and unacceptable ".

My first confused thing at the first sentence is whether this one is a complete sentence or a phrase.
The second confused thing at the second sentence is: Why desn't author add "is" between it and dishonest.
If someone knows, please explain if these sentences structure are right.
I am expecting from your reply.
Your sincerely,
Truc

This is the content of letter below.
========
Dear Mr. Jenkins,
I am writing to complain about my recent holiday in Sydney which was organised by your company. My wife and I selected the two-week Women's Weekly tour starting on 29 December. Your agency claimed we would be picked up at the airport, and that the hotel was three-star quality. The all-inclusive price we paid included breakfast and dinner and two excursions.
On arrival at the airport, there was no one to meet us. We waited for half an hour and then had no choice except to take a taxi. This [FONT=&quot]cost [/FONT]$30. The receipt is enclosed.
The hotel was not what I would consider three-star. The room was dirty, the beds were small and uncomfortable. The breakfast portions were very small, and the hotel refused to provide us with dinner. We had to spend a further $500 on extra meals. Again, I enclose our restaurant receipts.
I find it dishonest and unacceptable that your company sold us a tour which in no way resembled the description, and my wife and I expect to be compensated for all our extra expenses. The receipts which are enclosed total $530. In addition, we claim a refund of $100 because the room was not up to the promised standard.
We expect to receive your cheque for $630 very soon.
Yours sincerely,
========

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear all.

I read a letter and saw two sentences which have seemed to be strange. I havn't been able to understand two sentences which are quoted from the letter below. The first one is "The all-inclusive price we paid included breakfast and dinner and two excursions.", and the second is "I find it dishonest and unacceptable ".

My first confused thing at the first sentence is whether this one is a complete sentence or a phrase.
It's a proper sentence.
The all-inclusive price [that] we paid (subject) included (verb) breakfast and dinner and two excursions (Object).
The second confused thing at the second sentence is: Why desn't author add "is" between it and dishonest.
It's OK. It means "I find it [to be] dishonest and unacceptable."

==
The second sentence doesn't need "is", or even "to be", but you can understand it that way if it's easier.

"I found her charming." "I (subject) found (verb) her (object) charming (adjective).
"I found him dead."

nhatruc30

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear Raymott

Thank you very much for answer.