Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
"This suggests that dimmer bulbs burns longer, that there is an advantage in not being too bright." I don't know what is the function of the second that clause. will you give an other example. Thanks a lot!

Curt Jugg

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This is just an alternative way of writing: "This suggests that dimmer bulbs burn longer and that there is an advantage in not being too bright."

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This is just an alternative way of writing: "This suggests that dimmer bulbs burn longer and that there is an advantage in not being too bright."
Thank you!

Curt Jugg

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're welcome!

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
This suggests that dimmer bulbs burns longer, that there is an advantage in not being too bright.

The underlined part is an asyndentic (no 'and') coordinated object.

There are two that-clauses functioning as part of the object of "suggests" in this sentence:

1. that dimmer bulbs burns longer
2. that there is an advantage in not being too bright

This suggests that dimmer bulbs burns longer.
+
This suggests that there is an advantage in not being too bright.

This suggests [[that dimmer bulbs burns longer] and [that there is an advantage in not being too bright]].
This suggests this and that.
What does it suggest? This and that (=coordinated object).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
If the word in blue is new to you, it has been mentioned before in the forum. Find out more about it here:

www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/39987-coordinated-sentences.html

www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/124354-comma.html

Inasmuch as I use the term, it is probably not new to me. :up: Where is the usual sting in your deliberately antagonistic comment? :) Ahh, you mean the typo? Asyndetic?
You know what, Jed? Jed? Is this your name? It is a great honor to have someone like you to follow my comments letter by letter. Thanks for your rapt attention. :-D However, you would make an even more favorable impression on me if you just entertained someone else with your brilliant wit. In a less formal and more certain terms: Take a hike!;-)

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Inasmuch as I use the term, it is probably not new to me. :up: Where is the usual sting in your deliberately antagonistic comment? :) Ahh, you mean the typo? Asyndetic?
You know what, Jed? Jed? Is this your name? It is a great honor to have someone like you to follow my comments letter by letter. Thanks for your rapt attention. :-D However, you would make an even more favorable impression on me if you just entertained someone else with your brilliant wit. In a less formal and more certain terms: Take a hike!;-)
I think 5jj was giving that hint to the OP.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Inasmuch as I use the term, it is probably not new to me.
That was addresed to other readers, who might not be familiar with the word.

Where is the usual sting in your deliberately antagonistic comment?
You appear to infer what is not intended,

Ahh, you mean the typo? Asyndetic?
I did not even notice that

You know what, Jed? Jed? Is this your name? It is a great honor to have someone like you to follow my comments letter by letter. Thanks for your rapt attention.
Nothing personal - I try to read most of the posts in the 'Ask a Teacher' and other forums carefully.

However, you would make an even more favorable impression on me if you just entertained someone else with your brilliant wit. In a less formal and more certain terms: Take a hike!
We usually try to avoid personal comments in this forum. :)

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It makes no difference! Please don't take it serious! We are all friends ,both teachers and students! Shake hands with you! I understand 5jj too well. He is a good teacher indeed,modestly and integently..

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It makes no difference! Please don't take it serious! We are all friends ,both teachers and students! Shake hands with you! I understand 5jj too well. He is a good teacher indeed,modestly and integently..
By the way I have another problem on asyndetic. i have read all the posts but I haven't an example of that clause as my original.Could you give me one?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
By the way I have another problem on asyndetic. [STRIKE]i[/STRIKE] I have read all the posts but I haven't an example of that clause as my original.Could you give me one?
I think that we have answered your question, that we have given reasonable answers to your question. ;-)

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think that we have answered your question, that we have given reasonable answers to your question. ;-)
Very good answer!
Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.