Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Dear all.

I read a report which describes about the instinct to migrate of animal.
I feel confused at a sentence structure of report, and ask myself why author didn't add a comma (between 'experiment' and 'a young seabird') or having something wrong with print material.
If somebody knows, please give an explanation to me.
I'm expecting from your reply.
Your sincerely
Truc

This is transcript of report.
--------------------------------------
MIGRATTION

One of the greatest mysteries of nature is the instinct to migrate. Every year millions of creatures feel the need to move for one reason or another. Most of us have seen the arrival or departure of migrating flocks of birds. Migration, however, is not confined to birds, but can be seen in retiles (for example turtles, frogs), insects (butterflies, locusts), fish (eels, salmon, tunny ) and mammals (reindeer, seals, lemmings, whales, bats). Many of these creatures succeed in navigating over long distances. How exactly they manage to do this still remains a mysteries. There are several possibilities. They may navigate by using one or more of the following:
Experiments suggests that these navigational abilities are partly instinctive. In one famous experiment a young seabird from the island of Skokholm, off the Welsh coast, was taken across the Atlantic by plane to Boston, 5100 km away. It was released, and was back in its nest twelve and a half days later.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I read a report which describes [STRIKE]about the[/STRIKE] an animal's instinct to migrate of [STRIKE]animal[/STRIKE].
I feel confused at [STRIKE]a sentence structure of[/STRIKE] the structure of a sentence in the report, and ask myself why the author didn't add a comma (between 'experiment' and 'a young seabird') or having something wrong with print material.(I don't understand this)
If somebody knows, please give me an explanation [STRIKE]to me[/STRIKE].
I'm [STRIKE]expecting from[/STRIKE] looking forward to your reply.[...]

This is transcript of the report.
--------------------------------------
MIGRAT[STRIKE]T[/STRIKE]ION [...]

In one famous experiment a young seabird from the island of Skokholm, off the Welsh coast, was taken across the Atlantic by plane to Boston, 5100 km away. It was released, and was back in its nest twelve and a half days later.
A comma after 'experiment' makes it easier to read

nhatruc30

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
It's a great thing, thank for your answer, fivejedjon. I understand the sentence in the report now.

Truc

Status
Not open for further replies.