Thread: Porch glider

Post Thanks / Like

Default Porch glider

Hi people,

could you please tell me what is a "porch glider"? I'll give the whole sentence:

"He watched her...the very next day...as she attempted to hang a porch glider from the overhang..." - not much, sorry.

Thanks in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Porch glider

"as she attempted to hang a porch glider from the overhang...= "as she attempted to hang something which glides from the overhanging part of the porch.....

(A porch is a covered shelter projecting in front of the entrance of a house/building.)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I see. Thanks Temico. I don't quite understand though what it is that glides from the overhang No word about it in the book

Post Thanks / Like

something which glides
    A glider can be any contraption. It can be a light aircraft, a boat, a cart or even a soap box----anything that can be easily pushed to move smoothly from a higher position to lower position to land slowly like ---e.g. a kite.

Dandelion is offline Member
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Cat
    Hi people,

could you please tell me what is a "porch glider"? I'll give the whole sentence:

"He watched her...the very next day...as she attempted to hang a porch glider from the overhang..." - not much, sorry.

Thanks in advance.
    The text might refer to a swing which seats two people.

BTW, when we ask an indirect question, we say "Could you please tell me what a "porch glider" is?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all. Honestly speaking, I still can't imagine what a swing there can be on a porch Something incredible.

I know a glider can be ANY contraption. To me gliders have always been something like space ships from a sci-fi story, so you see, I was rather puzzled when imagining this thing on a porch

Yes, I see my mistake in the question, I can be inattentive sometimes

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry if I'm too boring

I found this link confirming that it's a kind of a bench: http://www.plasteak.com/furniture/glider/gliders.htm
    It's more or less clear now what it is. I suppose they are hung from some kind of roof to serve as a swing, is that right?

I know I'm now going beyond lingustics, so please, excuse me once more for that. Porch gliders are not typical for my culture, and it was really exciting to investigate this case :)

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

Porch gliders are not typical for my culture
    They are not typical for my culture too. In fact, I have never heard of them before. Today, I learned something new from you. Thanks.
    Last edited by Temico; 06-Oct-2005 at 13:24.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to hear my query has turned out to be useful not only for me

One of my colllegues here has a good imagination and has suggested that "a porch glider" must be something to entertain kids - I imagine gliding from the porch can be no less amusing for kids than a swing in the yard

What a funny notion