Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
UK
I have never come across "bellwether" before. What does it mean? Will you be kind enough to give me some examples?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have never come across "bellwether" before. What does it mean? Will you be kind enough to give me some examples?
Congratulations for not writing '...weather' or '...whether', but you don't get a bonus point - there are plenty of dictionaries out there. ;-)

It's an indicator - the first to change. It's rarely used nowadays. The origin was the leading wether in a flock of sheep, who wore a bell round his neck..

Example:
In the stock market, a bellwether (barometer stock in the UK) is the stock of a company that is regarded as a leader in its given industry.

See more here: Bellwether - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

b

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

REMINDER: NOT A TEACHER

(1) I think that you have chosen a great word. If you use it (correctly) in your

writing, I think that your colleagues will be very impressed.

(2) Here are two examples I found in my dictionaries:

University campuses are often the bellwether of change. (That is, they predict what changes are coming to society.)
(The New Oxford American Dictionary)

Paris is the bellwether of the fashion industry. (That is, Paris is the leader.)
(Random House Webster's Unabridged Dictionary)

(3) I most respectfully suggest that you simply google the word, and see how it

is used in a variety of sentences. Then you will start to get a "feel" for the word.

Status
Not open for further replies.