Thread: Correct please

Post Thanks / Like

Default Correct please

0. Hey teachers! I have written a few fairly small pieces which I would like you to correct. I'd really appreciate it if you were as strict as possible. Thanks in advance. Hope the size of my 'small' pieces doesn't surprise you .
    P.S. I have put words/expressions I'm particularly unsure of in bold type.

1. A. -Youíve got to get quite a bit of books if you want to do well in January's exam.
    B. ĖI know. But first Iím going to drop by at the library to find out if theyíve got books I can check out till early January.
    A. Ė Thatís a good idea. Oh! I just remembered Ė My mum used to buy lots of books about Chinese philosophy when she was in university. Iíll ask her whether she still keeps them, ok?
    B. That would be nice.

2. -You still studying Spanish?
    -Yep.
    -Do you really think youíll ever need it?
    -I just have a passion for languages. Why should I give up studying Spanish simply because I might never need to use it in future?

3. Itís become quite hard to get into a prestigious Russian university lately. Of course, I entirely agree that itís always been so. I mean that itís now become a great deal harder. Take Math entrance exams to Moscow most prestigious universities Ė itís virtually impossible to pass their entrance exams without knowing at least roughly what sums youíll have to do. Acceptance boards invent most sums themselves. Therefore, sometimes even a Math teacher canít solve such sums as s/he doesn't know the method. Otherwise, itís nearly impossible to guess what you can do to solve it. Itís reprehensible! By making exams so hard, they force people to turn to private teachers who usually work in these universities. The only trouble with such teachers is that they charge around Ä50 for each lesson which is pretty much.
    The problem is that the majority of parents canít afford to pay Ä50 for a lesson. Thus, such parentsí children have no option but to enter less prestigious universities.

4. Only if you have the best of intentions can you apply to join our club.

Hey Ian!
    How are you doing? Iím good. Iím terribly sorry for not emailing you for so long! Iíve been so busy with university lately I couldnít find any time to write a letter. Now that itís very close to the weekend Iíve finally found some time.

I told you in my last letter that I have to study quite a bit of subjects that I think Iíll never need in the future. For example, culturology. Judging by the lectures weíve had this study has nothing to do with economics. I guess they just want to make us Ďcivilizedí. I mean that they want us to know as much as possible. Thatís weird, isnít it?
    Howís school going for you now? Do you live at home or in residence?
    I minored in Banking English in the first year and I found it rather uninteresting. I didnít see any point in starting studying Banking English in the first year. As we hadnít even started to study Banking in my first language we all found studying Banking in English very difficult. We didnít know many words even in Russian! That was stupid. BTW, Banking English is no longer studied (or read) as a compulsory discipline in the first year. First years are lucky!

Anyways, I gotta go now! Bye for now!

Alex,
    cheers

Tdol is offline Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    • Member Info
      • Member Type:
      • English Teacher
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Correct please

1. A. -Youíve got to get quite a bit of books if you want to do well in January's exam.
    Quite a few books- a bit doesn't work with the plural

A. Ė Thatís a good idea. Oh! I just remembered Ė My mum used to buy lots of books about Chinese philosophy when she was in university. Iíll ask her whether she still keeps them, ok?

I would change 'keeps'- I'll ask her whether she's still got them/still has them

3. Itís become quite hard to get into a prestigious Russian university lately. Of course, I entirely agree that itís always been so.

The language is fine, but the logic isn't- the sentences contradict each other

I mean that itís now become a great deal harder. Take Math entrance exams to
    Moscow's most prestigious universities Ė itís virtually impossible to pass their entrance exams without knowing at least roughly (I'd say without having a rough idea) what sums youíll have to do. Acceptance boards invent most of the sums themselves. Therefore, sometimes even a Math teacher canít solve such sums as s/he doesn't know the method. Otherwise, itís nearly impossible to guess what you can do to solve it. Itís reprehensible (I'd use something like scandalous) ! By making exams so hard, they force people to turn to private teachers who usually work in these universities. The only trouble with such teachers is that they charge around Ä50 for each lesson which is pretty much (pretty steep/pricey).
    The problem is that the majority of parents canít afford to pay Ä50 for a lesson. Thus, such parentsí children have no option but to enter less prestigious universities.

I told you in my last letter that I have to study quite a bit of (quite a few)subjects that I think Iíll never need in the future. For example, culturology. Judging by the lectures weíve had this study has nothing to do with economics. I guess they just want to make us Ďcivilizedí. I mean that they want us to know as much as possible. Thatís weird, isnít it?
    Howís school going for you now? Do you live at home or in residence?
    I minored in Banking English in the first year and I found it rather uninteresting. I didnít see any point in starting studying Banking English in the first year. As we hadnít even started to study Banking in my first language we all found studying Banking in English very difficult. We didnít know many words even in Russian! That was stupid. BTW, Banking English is no longer studied (or read) as a compulsory discipline in the first year. First years are lucky!

Anyways, I gotta go now! Bye for now!